Adding text to an Image

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Nervous ProfessionalPosts: 340Registered Users Major grins
edited November 4, 2014 in Technique
TEAM PORTRAIT: adding team name + 2014-15; these will be produced usually as 5x7, 8x10s and then I do one 30x40.

First of all I do everything in LR, Photoshop & Illustrator.

The way I did this in the Past was create a graphic and turn it into a watermark that I add as and export as a watermark in LIGHTROOM.

I have also created the text as text in PS ON the image.

Tonight I tried to do this in Illustrator: made some text, converted to a vector graphics ( expand) and then opened the.png in PS but the thing was way way too small and when I scaled it it didn't behave like a vector graphic.

QUESTION: what is the best way to add text to an image that I can enlarge?

ALSO-the watermark I create in Lightroom is OKAY but looses substance when enlarged?

Any ideas?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Still learnin'still lovin Posts: 21,082Super Moderators moderator
    edited November 4, 2014
    Assuming that you truly have vector graphics to start with, scale the vector image in Illustrator to the different sizes needed and "Export" as a bitmap PNG file in each required size.

Alternately, use Illustrator and export a bitmap to the "largest" size required, but scale the bitmap down to the "desired" size in each image in LR/PS. Scaling large bitmaps to small bitmaps works rather well, especially if you use bicubic resampling plus sharpening. (You should be able to build automation to perform the task in LR/PS.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums