Options

Land of the Tule

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited November 8, 2014 in Wildlife
Thought I would hit them during rutting season, but mistimed the heck out it. The battles have been fought and won. Only saw one large harem and single male, and captured few other critters along the way.

All criticism and help is heartily cherished as always!

1)
IMG_0043-X3.jpg

2)
IMG_0038-2-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_0119-X3.jpg

4)
IMG_0087-X3.jpg

5)
IMG_0167-X3.jpg

6)
IMG_0162-X3.jpg

7)
IMG_0146-X3.jpg

8)
IMG_0197-X3.jpg

9)
IMG_8838-X3.jpg

10)
IMG_8850-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited November 7, 2014
    Love the elk and the great collection of wildlife! All from Point Reyes?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Love the elk and the great collection of wildlife! All from Point Reyes?

Thanks Ian!

Yes, trying to make the rule of keeping zoom lens on passenger seat. I was surprised how many different kind of hawks were around....had to stop in middle of the road to get one I got. Lots of wildlife there.....tons of deer.......elephant seals near chimney rock......I haven't pursued all the trails....like Abbots Lagoon etc, but main goal was Tule, and saw other critters along the way. Maybe we can goo shooting some time!! Cheers!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2014
    That must be a long, fast lens to get such detail and blurred backgrounds.

#3 is my fav.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    That must be a long, fast lens to get such detail and blurred backgrounds.

#3 is my fav.

Phil

Thanks Phil!! I think the distance of bg elements is helping me out....since I was high up and the hills in bg were below and far away, bg looks diffused. I open widest possible. Dream of f-4 500mm but damn thing costs 3 mortgage payments.....usually zoom lenses designed to be sharpest when they are wide open so that helps out in more ways then one! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    I haven't been to the park in a while. But my favorite is to hike out to Wildcat and spend the night. On a dark night, you can sit on the beach and literally watch satellites scream by.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    I haven't been to the park in a while. But my favorite is to hike out to Wildcat and spend the night. On a dark night, you can sit on the beach and literally watch satellites scream by.

Wildcat then! Have to google it! I haven't done any camping this year.....staying local.....glad to have heard of new spot....something to pursue! Hope we go shooing sometime! Thanks for the info!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wildcat then! Have to google it! I haven't done any camping this year.....staying local.....glad to have heard of new spot....something to pursue! Hope we go shooing sometime! Thanks for the info!thumb.gif

Whoops! Wildcat over looks the beach. Coast is the beach. There's another, Glen, that is a few miles from the beach. There are critters at all of them. Sky is only one I haven't stayed at and all of the campsites in the park are backpack sites.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2014
    Most enjoyable series Taz - many people will not get a chance to see these animals in such nice detail without fine work like this.

You seem to be unable to take a lousy photograph... when we meet-up, I wish to touch your aura, and see if it's contagious!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2014
    Whoops! Wildcat over looks the beach. Coast is the beach. There's another, Glen, that is a few miles from the beach. There are critters at all of them. Sky is only one I haven't stayed at and all of the campsites in the park are backpack sites.

Thanks Ian! Intend to find all of them!:D
    Earache wrote: »
    Most enjoyable series Taz - many people will not get a chance to see these animals in such nice detail without fine work like this.

You seem to be unable to take a lousy photograph... when we meet-up, I wish to touch your aura, and see if it's contagious!

Kindest words Eric! bowdown.gif
    Attrition rate on cutting room floor is about 95%rolleyes1.gif
    Looking forward to your trip up here! It would truly be a blast!!
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2014
    Very nice set. I'm not crazy about the b&W hawk, like the color better. Love the light in these, really tough to pick a favorite but I think I'm going with #10 although #6 is a close 2nd.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    Very nice set. I'm not crazy about the b&W hawk, like the color better. Love the light in these, really tough to pick a favorite but I think I'm going with #10 although #6 is a close 2nd.

Thanks Hunter! The coats they have on right now will really glisten in last light. I left earlier as had some Seascapes in mind. Due to nature of the tones, I thought b&w was worth a try. Thanks as always!! Cheers!wings.gif
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,039 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2014
    Wonderful set. Favorites are #3, 6 and 9. I love the DOF - I think I have Lens Envy! Wildlife is the bane of my existence - I never seem to have the right camera/lens at the right time - even when I am in a wildlife refuge!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2014
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Wonderful set. Favorites are #3, 6 and 9. I love the DOF - I think I have Lens Envy! Wildlife is the bane of my existence - I never seem to have the right camera/lens at the right time - even when I am in a wildlife refuge!

Thanks Jo!! Appreciate your kind feedback!

Some of the tricks that I have learned that help me is that reach is biggest issue and somehow sitting in car gives one of the best opportunities to get close so it pays to have setup ready easy to reach.....and of course be willing to stop on the road....carefully.... Also I am big on using crop-sensor body as it gives your lens additional multiple and you don't lose anything (no matter what they say in articles). In fact your pictures will average higher MB with crop sensor body as you have less to crop. Also if walking or waiting, it pays to pick a spot where they eventually drift towards you....because going towards them....they never fail to notice and drift further out.....hope you score some shots and post soon!!