Options

Brushing Up On Sub-Tropical Flowers

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited November 9, 2014 in Holy Macro
A few years ago, at a local car boot sale, I purchased six wall plates of "orchids". It turned out that one was by a different artist and was of irises. To me, that was the real stunner.

http://glassmenagerie.com/aos_online_store.html?details=10594&pcount=10594&ca_id=3758

This shrub was outside our hotel room on the Caribbean Island of St Lucia. I was particularly interested in the delicate texture and pastel colours of the petals. I have adjusted the image to bring out these features as they might have been captured in a painting (inspired by the painted plate referred to above).

The framing had them facing the edge of the frame, giving little scope for composition so I went for a tight, square crop.

E-P2, probably Kiron 70-150, sunlight, hand-held.

This version, due to loss of the RAW original, was made from a JPEG, so could have been better.

Unlike the artist, I had to include the foliage, which either limits or emphasises the effect, I'm not sure.

Harold

1012616.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 8, 2014
    It's a gorgeous flower!

If you wanted to do some post, you could emphasize the flower by softening the background a little or by cropping to include less of the foliage.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    It's a gorgeous flower!

If you wanted to do some post, you could emphasize the flower by softening the background a little or by cropping to include less of the foliage.

You haven't seen the results of my "skills" in dealing with parts of images. :nah

Harold
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2014
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2014
    Like it
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I have yet to identify the tree/shrub, not knowing where to start in this case.

Harold