New Canon Camera Issues with Tamron Lens

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited November 10, 2014 in Cameras
I recently got a Canon 5DMkIII. Started using it with a Canon 24-70, 2.8ƒ lens. No issues. I finally received form B&H my Pre-Ordered Tamron - 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD Lens for Canon. Loving it so far for its walk around versatility.

Yesterday while giving it a real workout at a local city park I noticed the camera would suddenly cutout (turn off) in portrait position. and at times in Horizontal.

My one struggle with using the lens before this is the focus and zoom rings are reversed from the Canon lens I have been using. Trying to remember to not turn the focus ring with autofocus on is not easy. I don't feel I ever did this while actually holding down the trigger button and autofocusing.

Has anyone else had issue with a Tamron lens, this one or other, that affect the camera like this? When I go back to the Canon lens all is well.

Of course I don't want to permanently damage the 5D either. Do I put a warranty claim in on this lens? Anyone know what might be happening here?

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited November 9, 2014
    Yes, I believe that this is not normal behavior.

I suggest first making sure that the lens is fully "seated" in the mount. Demount and remount the lens a couple of times and make sure that it fully latches.

If that doesn't work, also make sure that all of the electrical contacts of the lens and camera are completely clean.

Are you using a vertical battery grip with the Canon 5D Mark III? If so, try removing the grip and use a single battery in the body, known to be reliable and fully charged.

Remember that the VC designation indicates optical stabilization, and that alone draws more current in conjunction with the AF motor and aperture actuator than a lens without stabilization, like your Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.

If you determine that the lens is seating properly and getting full power from the host body, and if it's still acting up, then I recommend returning the lens for replacement or repair.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply, Ziggy. I'll check these out when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2014
    Okay, so I got to play with this, again, just now. I reseated the lens and turned off VC. Everything behaved itself for a walk around where I work. I'll just keep an eye on things, meanwhile. Still need to test without the Battery grip, solo battery in the body, but I did not have the removable battery cover with me to try that, now. I will give that a try soon so I can leave the grip at home for an extended day where I want to carry less weight, coming up.

Thank you, again, Ziggy for all the suggestions on this issue.

thumb.gif

Don