Options

Homage to Hitchcock

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited November 12, 2014 in Street and Documentary
[The Birds is a 1963 suspense/horror film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, loosely based on the 1952 story "The Birds" by Daphne du Maurier.]
The%20Birds-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2014
    I like this, but I think it would benefit by adding some drama, a BW conversion would help.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 10, 2014
    They are rather surrounded, aren't they? It would be more menacing if the bird on the lower left had been looking at them. Maybe he never saw the flick mwink.gif Nice capture. The B&W idea is worth trying--the pleasant color works against the horror theme.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    I like this, but I think it would benefit by adding some drama, a BW conversion would help.

Got one of those too... :D
    I thought about B&W a lot, but, for the "Homage" went with color because the 1963 film is in color...
    Homage%20to%20Alfred-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    They are rather surrounded, aren't they? It would be more menacing if the bird on the lower left had been looking at them. Maybe he never saw the flick mwink.gif.....

I tried some model direction... but no luck.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2014
    The second image in B&W does it for me.

I know this will date me, but I remember seeing a huge billboard advertisement for the movie that read "The Birds is Coming!"

If I remember correctly that is all it said. It did not mention that it was movie.

Since I was still a youngster the wording ran counter to my English classes, but I mentioned it in class and.....

Hmm? I thought the movie was in B&W but not according to articles on the web.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2014

Hmm? I thought the movie was in B&W but not according to articles on the web.

Phil

It's funny you should say that Phil, because I too was certain it was in B&W until I looked it up to be sure...
    So (this will date me), I figured-out why I remembered it that way was because the first several times I saw the movie, it was on a B&W television...we didn't have one of those new-fangled color models until sometime in the '70's. :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2014
    I like the second shot a lot, but don't feel fear... ne_nau.gif Great contrast on the seagulls.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2014
    I like the color shot, but it doesn't remind me of Hitchcock, it reminds me of Pixar.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

Crab-Seagulls.jpg
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2014
    Spoiler Alert!!
    Juano wrote: »
    I like the second shot a lot, but don't feel fear... ne_nau.gif Great contrast on the seagulls.

Thanks for looking-in buddy!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2014
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I like the color shot, but it doesn't remind me of Hitchcock, it reminds me of Pixar.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

Crab-Seagulls.jpg

That's funny WillCAD!! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2014
    Gotta give the edge here to the B&W shot.thumb.gif It's more successful at projecting the tension seen and felt in the movie. Certain scenes in the movie made a lasting impression on me.....particularly those where the birds are doing a little eye-pecking. WHEW!!

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2014
    Gotta give the edge here to the B&W shot.thumb.gif It's more successful at projecting the tension seen and felt in the movie. Certain scenes in the movie made a lasting impression on me.....particularly those where the birds are doing a little eye-pecking. WHEW!!

Take care,

Tom
    Thanks for commenting Tom.
    I think we share that experience of being forever impressed by "The Birds".
    I'm sure that's why I thought of the movie right-away, when I saw these folks surrounded.
    Take Care!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2014
    Maybe more drama if you armed the gulls via PhotoShopped. You know, a few assault rifles, a hand grenade or two ... maybe a few RPGs, a drone camouflaged like a gull ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2014
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Maybe more drama if you armed the gulls via PhotoShopped. You know, a few assault rifles, a hand grenade or two ... maybe a few RPGs, a drone camouflaged like a gull ...

I'll work on that Gary... mwink.gif
    In the movie though, bird beaks proved to be dangerous enough...

I do like the drone idea though - skies full of rogue drones... there's a movie in-there I think!
    Eric ~ Smugmug