Options

Golden Opportunity Missed With New Shopping Menu

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited December 15, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I see the shopping menu has been redesigned. I think I like it, but there is a golden opportunity here now that the customer sees a much larger preview of what they are ordering, but SM didn't seize it.

In the old menu a majority of my customers would not bother to crop their images, and would even order sizes that would not fit the subject matter. They did not notice the tiny thumbnail on the left showing the preview of the crop.

The larger preview in the new menu could really make it glaringly obvious that the photo is going to be cropped when the customer selects a print size, but as it is there is no indication that cropping is going to happen at all until you get to the checkout. There it is even less obvious than the old menu. On the new preview, perhaps hatch marks in the cropped area would make it stand out more than just dimming the cropped area.

Thanks.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    herojosieherojosie Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for checking in about the new shopping cart. With the new design, there is a dynamic cropping tool that changes the view when you choose different sizes. The cropped out area should show with a dark shadow over it, showing which area will be cropped out.

Here is a screenshot of what that view should look like during checkout: http://note.io/1yd3DSG

If you have any other questions about that though, just let us know!
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Odd, it was not doing that on my home iMac, either in FireFox or Safari. It is doing it now on my work PC, in FireFox.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Hi Jack,

Glad to hear that it is working on your work computers. Can you let us know the OS and Browser versions you are using at home so we can take a look into that for you?
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    I will check tonight, thanks.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Hi Jack,

Sounds good. And feel free to send that information directly to the help desk, help@smugmug.com. If you have screenshots of what you are seeing as well, that may help us sort out the issue.
    Thanks,
    Josie
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 22, 2014
    just to close the loop here; there was a bug where cropping would not show in the new Add to Cart for some products when you were logged in. It was fixed shortly after launch.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1978528#post1978528

please let us know if you still don't see cropping.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    MesenkoMesenko Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2014
    The safest thing to do is set your site to require you proof it and change the crop if necessary before it gets sent to the printer. This feature has saved me a ton of grief.