Options

New attorney portraits

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited December 9, 2014 in People
a friend needed a few quick ports done for his new job.

p588505658-4.jpg

p1025320177-4.jpg

p967511792-4.jpg

p747861038-4.jpg

the request was quite specific:
no smiling.
jacket on.
only chest up.

i'm hoping to shoot with him once he is situated in the office, and has a story telling backdrop.
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2014
    Good job Photoshoping the horns out. :D

Sam
  • Options
    AlexSharkAlexShark Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2014
    The last one works for me.
    Photography is about what does not meet the eye
    Be my guest: Alex Braverman Photography
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    Sam wrote: »
    Good job Photoshoping the horns out. :D

Sam
    i'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing rolleyes1.gif
    AlexShark wrote: »
    The last one works for me.

thank you
    I seem to prefer and gravitate to more of a dark/contrasty light.. the opposite of what most people prefer.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    Foques wrote: »
    I seem to prefer and gravitate to more of a dark/contrasty light.. the opposite of what most people prefer.

My problem with the low-key set is his eyes. They appear squint or even cross-eyed and vacant. The last photo has life in it.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Like the last one especially. The darker ones he seems a tad crossed eyed.
  • Options
    Reflections By BrianReflections By Brian Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    I really like 1,3 and 4. Number 2 really really makes him look cross eyed and the eyes kind of get lost in the shadows. I would maybe try to place the lights up a little higher to decrease the shadow on his eyes. The other two low key shots look great and look like the light source may be a little bit higher. Nice work though!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    AlexShark wrote: »
    My problem with the low-key set is his eyes. They appear squint or even cross-eyed and vacant. The last photo has life in it.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Like the last one especially. The darker ones he seems a tad crossed eyed.

I was trying to fight the cross eyed look, but my thinking is that this should've been done during the shooting, not in post. do you guys have any tricks in the hat for the PP fixes?

I really like 1,3 and 4. Number 2 really really makes him look cross eyed and the eyes kind of get lost in the shadows. I would maybe try to place the lights up a little higher to decrease the shadow on his eyes. The other two low key shots look great and look like the light source may be a little bit higher. Nice work though!

the light sources were two 60" stripboxes on either side. placing them higher wouldn't be possible.
    I ended up throwing a reflector in front of him after that #2 was taken.
    What I need to find is a reflector stand.

I appreciate the feedback, guys. bowdown.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    Foques wrote: »
    I was trying to fight the cross eyed look, but my thinking is that this should've been done during the shooting, not in post. do you guys have any tricks in the hat for the PP fixes?

I don't. This should be done during the shooting. The person is the subject, the background is of less value. That's why #4 works and others don't.

Having the camera tethered to a workstation during the shoot would reveal such defects in real time, and would prompt you to reshoot.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2014
    Not in PP. Generally the eyes will look even from a particular side that the other. I've tried and had moderate success with asking them to find where the camera is and then close their eyes and on the count of three open them and smile. Again moderate success that way.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2014
    great idea, thank you Charles.
    one thing I should note with "work/doesn't work" bit. White shot does not work for me at all.the only reason I included it is because my friend and some other people liked it. So, I guess, this is where the art bit comes into the game.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    I like the three (did not read other comments). The first two looks "somehow" different but do not work much for me
    Alex
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2014
    I like the quality of light in #2 the best, though you could lighten up around the eyes (and whiten up the whites of his left eye) and get some more seperation between BG and hair/jacket. the light in #3 doesn't work for me..just a touch too harsh and the shadows around is nose are objectionable to me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com