Apply Image

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited December 31, 2005 in Finishing School
I'm trying to execute Dan Margulis' technique of applying an image under luminosity mode in RGB but for some reason in CS (not CS2) there isn't a Luminosity setting. Is that true for everyone else or am i doing something wrong?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I'm trying to execute Dan Margulis' technique of applying an image under luminosity mode in RGB but for some reason in CS (not CS2) there isn't a Luminosity setting. Is that true for everyone else or am i doing something wrong?

If you are referring to the initial step in his portrait recipe, the end goal is to have a duplicate of the green channel copied into a layer above the image, and that layer put in luminosity mode.

Luminosity doesn't show up as an option in the Apply Image dialogue box because, since you are working with individual channels, the only information is luminosity information. Dan's tecnique is to copy your image into a new layer and use apply image on that layer, choosing the green channel in normal mode at 100%. This will replace the image with the channel information. You attain the same result by going to the green channel, selecting All, copying to the clipboard, creating a new, transparent layer, and pasting. Either way, the layer will contain only dark/light information from the green channel, no color. Turning that layer's blending mode to luminosity will do the trick.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    edgework wrote:
    If you are referring to the initial step in his portrait recipe, the end goal is to have a duplicate of the green channel copied into a layer above the image, and that layer put in luminosity mode.

Luminosity doesn't show up as an option in the Apply Image dialogue box because, since you are working with individual channels, the only information is luminosity information. Dan's tecnique is to copy your image into a new layer and use apply image on that layer, choosing the green channel in normal mode at 100%. This will replace the image with the channel information. You attain the same result by going to the green channel, selecting All, copying to the clipboard, creating a new, transparent layer, and pasting. Either way, the layer will contain only dark/light information from the green channel, no color. Turning that layer's blending mode to luminosity will do the trick.

Ah gotcha. I've been very confused about exactly how to use the Apply Image command. Thanks.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D