Cyclocross in desert

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited December 2, 2014 in Mind Your Own Business
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1980479&posted=1#post1980479

(Hopefully above is a link to my post in Sports)

Posted some recent cyclocross race pics in Sports and got a bit off topic into the whole business model for sales. Not really looking for advice here (but am open always), just making an interesting (to me) observation that might serve to prove the points made previously (I have read almost all posts by Glort and JMPhoto, so feel somewhat well educated on the event sales subject by them).

In a nutshell I went to shoot a cyclocross race for some friends and was approached by promoter to shoot all racers and he would link my gallery to their main site. I know the whole "go to my site to buy pics" model is flawed, but it was fun and I was there already. This is a bit of a closed group for this series of races so the 200+/- people involved are in constant communication on the site and their facebook page, so thought maybe this will be different. Also had about a dozen people ask me at race where to buy the pics, so maybe I would get 3 or 4 sales?

So get photos processed and uploaded, post link on race series site as well as facebook (got 6 'likes')....and wait for the money to roll in. What could be simpler?

Maybe I am just proving points made about taking money at the event if you really want to sell anything, but I admit I am a bit surprised. Over 16,000 views per Smugmug on a gallery of 340 pictures and not a single sale.

Maybe its my site (not really set up commercially yet, although it is Smugmug Pro), maybe my pictures suck (didn't think so), or maybe will spend more than $0.99 on a pic of themselves???? I even put the digital file on sale for $4.99.

Interesting experiment for me at this point.