Options

Easy Way of Changing the Order of Appearance in Multiple Photo Blocks

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited December 5, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
The only way to change the order images is to deselect all previous choices, and then to select photos in the order you want them to appear. When you choose images from galleries accross your site this becomes very tedious.

i-tW97tPR-L.jpg

In the window where you "Choose one or more photos," you can click that Selected Button in the upper right corner. It would be a PERFECT place to implement a way to drag/drop your image order.

Now for the quiet hatred from the engineers... :cry

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited December 4, 2014
    This is sorely needed.

It was discussed in the context of the thread Folders, Galleries, & Pages content blocks do not allow editing of selections. See acknowledgement of this as an issue in this post.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2014
    Thanks for linking to those.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2014
    While it's not as good as drag and drop, you don't have to go through your folders / galleries to reselect the items in question. You can open up the selected menu in the upper right, deselect all items there and then reselect them in your desired order without having to leave the screen.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2014
    Thanks for letting me know. Now, how about going and kicking the person who DIDN'T think to put some sort of tool tip there? How is a user supposed to just know that?
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    While it's not as good as drag and drop, you don't have to go through your folders / galleries to reselect the items in question. You can open up the selected menu in the upper right, deselect all items there and then reselect them in your desired order without having to leave the screen.

Sebastian,

As Denise noted, that doesn't always work, at least for the combined folder/gallery/pages content block. My experience is oddly mixed. I've been through this before on this thread, but perhaps it is useful to cite the examples again. The deselect/reselect just fails -- the old order is unchanged -- when I exercise it on the 12-item block I have for my featured galleries. I have managed to make the deselect/reselect process work acceptably on some shorter test content blocks like the first five-item f/g/p block on this test page. Oddly, the deselect/reselect fails on the second f/g/p block on that same page. That second block contains only folders and galleries, no pages. However, as the related thread notes, it seems to difficult to map out exactly when the process with succeed or fail.

Gallery-only content blocks work just fine.

Frankly, given we have discussed this at length before and I thought the problem had been acknowledged by SmugMug, I'm disappointed at this response.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    Jim,
    My reply was intended for the galleries content block that the OP asked about and I hadn't actually seen the post that Denise made as I had opened up the thread before she did so and didn't refresh it again. That said, I wasn't aware of that particular issue with the folders, galleries & pages content block, so thanks Denise for pointing it out again.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2014
    Sebastian,

You are quite correct. I wrote based on Denise's post and not on Darter02's question on photo blocks (not navigation content blocks). Please accept my apologies for the too-grumpy response. But do send the mechanic over to tune up f/g/p navigation system.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com