Options

Really not understanding the price of photobooks...

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited December 10, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi there...

I try to have a project every winter. Last year was a book and this year after eight or more years full time on the road I want to make a Photo Coffee Table Book. I don't do anything for 'commercial ventures', just to share and yet our Journal readers should be able to afford it.

So I am thinking 120 pages, 11x13 [+/-], something nice... and I am shocked by the prices which will be my cost over $100. What shocks me even more is seeing some really nice other books like the ones from James Evans on Big Bend [Texas, where we are now] and its price being only around $50.

How are they getting around that? Is it because they have a publisher?

Thought I would ask...

Stay well.

Ara and Spirit

i-GvdRjjN.jpg
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2014
    The prices are determined by Blurb and you can see them in the comparative chart here.

I cannot comment on the book you mention as I don't know where and how it's printed. You might want to contact the author directly for more information on that.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2014
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    The prices are determined by Blurb and you can see them in the comparative chart here.

I cannot comment on the book you mention as I don't know where and how it's printed. You might want to contact the author directly for more information on that.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Thank You for your reply Ana.
    Distant neighbors since I am from Armenia!
    I do understand the pricing of Blurb and all, I just don't understand how "famous" photographers can publish such beautiful books for less than half the price I would. I will try to get in touch with them.

Stay well.
    Ara
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2014
    Ara, greetings to Armenia! Distance is relative: you're "only" 2500 kilometers away from me. :)

Creating and printing photobooks through providers such as Blurb, where you only print one or a few books, will always be more expensive than publishing through a publisher with a much higher number of copies. But again, I don't know where James Evans had that book printed and in how many copies, so I can't comment on why the price of his book is that much lower.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com