Options

Noisy video on Canon 7D Mark II

macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited January 16, 2015 in Cameras
I just bought the Canon 7D Mark II. I had never had video capabilities on a DSLR before so big learning curve. I have learned rather quickly that AF causes "clicking" noises when using video which is really annoying. Articles I've read say use manual focus. Wow well that will take some practice. My question is this: I have a Canon 17-55 lens on the camera, does that make any difference in how much noise is created? Would a nice L lens be quieter? Is there anything I can do in the camera settings themselves besides going to manual focus? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2014
    You need a Canon lens designated as "STM" if you want silent autofocus during video. e.g.: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_10_18mm_f_4_5_5_6_is_stm

In the mean time, you can minimize the need for AF by using manual focus set at infinity, and an aperture like f/8 if you have enough light.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2014
    You need a Canon lens designated as "STM" if you want silent autofocus during video. e.g.: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_10_18mm_f_4_5_5_6_is_stm

gotcha thanks for the heads up on that. I wasn't familiar with those lenses and will check it out.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2014
    yes, the STM lens are better for video
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 11, 2014
    STM appears to be available in only the consumer line of lenses, and probably not necessary in L lenses as they're already so quiet. I just shot a two hour event last Saturday using the 70-200 f/2.8 MKII in face-recognition focus mode. There were subjects coming and going and so the camera was refocusing often. However, I can't hear any focusing noise whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    STM appears to be available in only the consumer line of lenses, and probably not necessary in L lenses as they're already so quiet. I just shot a two hour event last Saturday using the 70-200 f/2.8 MKII in face-recognition focus mode. There were subjects coming and going and so the camera was refocusing often. However, I can't hear any focusing noise whatsoever.

Interesting. AF'ing my 5D3 + 17-40L in the middle of a video results in mechanical noise in the video.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2014
    Interesting. AF'ing my 5D3 + 17-40L in the middle of a video results in mechanical noise in the video.
    Maybe my theory is incorrect then. But I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by, "in the middle of a video". Was the focus tracking throughout the video noisy? Or did you do something to focus during the video, like hit the AF button?

If you've got the 70-200 MKII, I'd be interested in hearing whether that works better for you. Maybe the newer designed L lenses were designed with video in mind. I think the 17-40 is pretty old.
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Maybe my theory is incorrect then. But I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by, "in the middle of a video". Was the focus tracking throughout the video noisy? Or did you do something to focus during the video, like hit the AF button?

If you've got the 70-200 MKII, I'd be interested in hearing whether that works better for you. Maybe the newer designed L lenses were designed with video in mind. I think the 17-40 is pretty old.

5D3 has no dual-pixel sensor, thus no tracking AF during video. I hit the AF button.

Tried the 7D II + 70-200 II tonight at the school concert. Seems like it was silent.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited December 11, 2014
    5D3 has no dual-pixel sensor, thus no tracking AF during video. I hit the AF button.

Tried the 7D II + 70-200 II tonight at the school concert. Seems like it was silent.
    Good point on the 5D3. Glad to hear your experience was the same as mine on the 70-200.
  • Options
    MichaelBeattieMichaelBeattie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2014
    I have the 18-135 STM http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_18_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_is_stm and there is no noise at all with this lens. I have the 70-200 2.8 II but haven't tried it yet for video, so happy to hear those who have haven't had any noise issues.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2015
    I shot a bunch of video yesterday with the 24-105 and zone-focus. OMG -- horrible noise. :cry
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 16, 2015
    Separate audio tracks with a Zoom4, perhaps?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2015
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Separate audio tracks with a Zoom4, perhaps?
    Of course. Sadly I discovered it was on stand-by and not recording for the first half of the event I covered. A double mistake -- no beuno.