Options

How to see the number of "Likes"

mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited December 21, 2014 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I created a gallery and it has the "Like" button. I can't figure out where to see how many "Likes" an image has received.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited December 10, 2014
    mrhoni wrote: »
    I created a gallery and it has the "Like" button. I can't figure out where to see how many "Likes" an image has received.
    If you're taking about the like button on a photo in a regular gallery, that is one factor that feeds into your popular photos at http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/popular/ - but you can't see the actual numbers.

If you are using events then you can see your customer's favorites. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/83125-how-do-i-create-and-share-events-.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    Well that kinda sucks. I assumed it would give a count just like Facebook displays the number of likes. I created this gallery to get people to help decide the 12 photos for my calendar. I told them to like their 12 favorites thinking I would get a total number of likes per image so I can see the 12 most liked.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    I created a new event and added this particular gallery to the event. I have it set to Public and no registration required.
    Event link http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/event/2015-Calendar
    Gallery link http://www.mrhoni-photography.com/Web-Page-Galleries/2015-Calendar/n-2bzmq/

So if I handed out the gallery link to people can they go straight to the gallery or must the go to the Event link first and then click into the Gallery?

I logged off Smugmug and went to the gallery and clicked the Like button and it turned red. I still can't figure out where to see the count of likes.

Reading the link on setting up events, to see favorites I need to add specific people to the participant list. I don't have that, I'm asking people on my Facebook and another Facebook group to go to the gallery and click like for their 12 favorite images to help me select for the calendar I'm creating.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    Reading the link on setting up events, to see favorites I need to add specific people to the participant list. I don't have that, I'm asking people on my Facebook and another Facebook group to go to the gallery and click like for their 12 favorite images to help me select for the calendar I'm creating.
    I believe the only way you can see favorites is by using events with a participant list. - and there still isn't anywhere you can go to see the number of people who liked a specific photo.

From the "More About Participants, Registered Guests, and Favorites" section of the page I linked before (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/83125-how-do-i-create-and-share-events-):
    Example: If you've created an Event for a party, you'll add the guest of honor's name and email address to your Participant list. When you save the page, we'll generate a unique, permanent link that you can share with her. Her Personal Page will look just like the general Event page, but with an additional My Favorites gallery where we'll store the photos she likes best. As she browses the Event galleries, she'll also see a special heart icon under each photo. Clicking those will place a virtual copy of that image in her Favorites folder.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    Thank you for the response. Its very disappointing that what I wanted to do is not possible.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2014
    Thank you for the response. Its very disappointing that what I wanted to do is not possible.
    Do you use Google+? You could publish an album there and ask viewers to plus the photos in that gallery that they prefer. I don't share albums there, just single photos - but you can see the number of pluses (and reposts) for each of my posts. (Link to my G+ is in the menu of my site linked below).

If you published an album, then did a post for that album asking viewers to + the photos they liked, that might work for you.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mrehermreher Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2014
    I agree. There should be some thing to show the number of likes at the owners discretion in the stats only or on the photo itself. Then I think there should be the ability to use the popularity for other thinkg as well. I feel like we lost some of the old thumbs up functionality in the new version.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2014
    mreher wrote: »
    I feel like we lost some of the old thumbs up functionality in the new version.
    The number of thumbs up and an indication of who thumbed a photo wasn't there in legacy either.

The biggest difference I see is that there is only a thumbs up, no thumbs down. And I have to say I prefer it this way.

--- Denise