Options

Help eval Canon 24-70

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited January 3, 2006 in Cameras
Need help evaluating Canon 24-70L. This is a shot of a wall taken with 1dmkII straight out of camera - raw - without any sharpening applied.

50337409-M.jpg

Any help is appreciated.
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Hi Bodley...
    Initial impression-it looks good to me. Sharp, color is well rendered, no obvious distortion, etc.

It would help if we had more information-i.e.

What focal length?
    What aperture?
    Shutter speed?
    AF or manual focus?

and so forth.

You might consider crops of the corners and center if you have concerns about sharpness.

Is there something in particular that you are looking for? For me, if it looks this good on a wall shot, I highly doubt you would have any problems with your 'real world' shots as they say.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Initial impression-it looks good to me. Sharp, color is well rendered, no obvious distortion, etc.

It would help if we had more information-i.e.

What focal length?
    What aperture?
    Shutter speed?
    AF or manual focus?

and so forth.

You might consider crops of the corners and center if you have concerns about sharpness.

Is there something in particular that you are looking for? For me, if it looks this good on a wall shot, I highly doubt you would have any problems with your 'real world' shots as they say.

The exif data is visible by clicking on the photo.

I've shot some real world photos and have mixed feelings. Just finished shooting 300 T&I's - off a ladder - and the results, while very good, didn't seem as crisp as expected. Could be camera shake, I was on a ladder.

How can camera shake, out of focus and bad lens be distinguished from each other from looking at a photo?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    How can camera shake, out of focus and bad lens be distinguished from each other from looking at a photo?

You could use a tripod to minimize camera shake. Bad lenses tend to have a variety of nastyisms: Chromatic abberation, distortion, and/or vignetting at the edges, for instance. Shooting a flat grey color field can help find chromatic abberation and vignetting, shooting something with straight vertical and horizontal lines (as you did) is great for picking out distortion. You didn't mention which body you're using but if it's one of the cameras with a cropping factor you're less likely to see problems on the edges. Your profile says you have a 1DmkII in which case that wouldn't be you :-).

In any case that is not a bad lens by any stretch of the imagination. Unless it's flawed in manufacture, which is rare for these lenses, it's hard to do better. I have the older model, the 28-70 f/2.8 L, and it's my workhorse lens. Very, very happy with it.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    jimf wrote:
    You could use a tripod to minimize camera shake. Bad lenses tend to have a variety of nastyisms: Chromatic abberation, distortion, and/or vignetting at the edges, for instance. Shooting a flat grey color field can help find chromatic abberation and vignetting, shooting something with straight vertical and horizontal lines (as you did) is great for picking out distortion. You didn't mention which body you're using but if it's one of the cameras with a cropping factor you're less likely to see problems on the edges. Your profile says you have a 1DmkII in which case that wouldn't be you :-).

The wall was shot using a tripod and 1dmkII.
    Greg
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    I'm really not sure what you are looking for.

Generally, you would go wide open, thus 2.8 at 24 and 70, and possibly try the mid at 50. Then compare 100% crops of the middle and corners. Then move down, 4, 5.6, 8, etc.

The pic you have is small and personally I never like the brick wall for testing.

The bottom line for me and should be for everyone, is you know what looks sharp to you. If it isn't meeting your standards, sell it.

Seriously it's like TVs or audio. 10 people can look and listen to 10 differemt TVs and 10 different audio receivers and everyone will differ on what gives the sharpest picture and the clearest sound.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I'm really not sure what you are looking for.

First of all - anytime I buy a new lens I get paranoid that it's a bad copy (I'm sure it's some kind of neurosis).

I got this particular lens and shot some basketball T&I's. I just felt that the shots could have been sharper. But maybe not. My whole setup was new to me (Two off camera flashes in addition to the on-camera with bracket).

I thought I was braced but the sharpness may have suffered from camera shake since I was on a ladder for hours. But I was shooting 1/200 at focal lengths less than 70mm (91mm with 1.3 1dmkII factor) so I would not think shake would be a factor. Just not sure how to identify shake on a photo.
    Greg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    T&I = test and integration?

I agree that it doesn't look very good. I got the original and looked at it in PS, not at all sharp.

Manual focus or auto focus?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    T&I = test and integration?

I agree that it doesn't look very good. I got the original and looked at it in PS, not at all sharp.

Manual focus or auto focus?

T&I - Team and Individual.

Auto but checked manual.
    Greg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    So if it's not a sharp copy will Canon fix it or just claim it's "within Spec."
    Greg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    So if it's not a sharp copy will Canon fix it or just claim it's "within Spec."
    You have any other demo shots?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You have any other demo shots?

Have several hundred on my site but they have been manipulated, originals available, few more of the wall and some candids. What kind of shot are needed?
    Greg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Have several hundred on my site but they have been manipulated, originals available, few more of the wall and some candids. What kind of shot are needed?
    Anything that would show if the lens or the camera body has a problem.

Similar shots with two different lenses, that sort of thing. A real test of the lens and the body.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Anything that would show if the lens or the camera body has a problem.

Similar shots with two different lenses, that sort of thing. A real test of the lens and the body.

The action shots I took in the same gym with my 70-200mm/f2.8 seem much sharper.

Here are a few more shots with the 24-70 - no sharpening applied.

50372723-M.jpg

50372822-M.jpg

50372951-M.jpg

50373789-M.jpg

50374122-M.jpg
    Greg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2005
    Hi Bod,

I looked at the origs and they look like most 24-70 shots I've seen. I'd say it's "within spec" - that lens is loved and hated equally, I think.

I wish I could give you a better answer, mate.

Happy New Year

Andy
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Did more test (w/ newspaper) with the 24-70 and also compared results to my 70-200.

Focus was not an issue however there was excessive perimeter distortion. I should have my replacement by Wed.
    Greg
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    its obviously flawed. i'll take it off your hands for freedeal.gif

AND, i'll even pay shipping mwink.gif

:D
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    its obviously flawed. i'll take it off your hands for freedeal.gif

AND, i'll even pay shipping mwink.gif

:D

Thanks, but No Thanks :D
    Greg
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Did more test (w/ newspaper) with the 24-70 and also compared results to my 70-200.

Focus was not an issue however there was excessive perimeter distortion. I should have my replacement by Wed.
    Post some identical shots with the new glass. I'll be very interested to see if there are any differences.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Post some identical shots with the new glass. I'll be very interested to see if there are any differences.

What are you expecting?

Okay, I'll post photos of a newspaper.

Following your suggestion, I shot a newspapers with my 70-200/f2.8 IS and 24-70/f2.8 for comparison purposes. The 70-200/f2.8 IS beat the 24-70/f2.8 hands down thus the replacement request.
    Greg