Options

Star Trails

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited December 24, 2014 in Landscapes
Last weekend, I headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway to try to catch some of the Geminid Meteor Shower. That didn't work so well - I saw a lot of meteors, but most were not where I had the camera pointed. :huh

While waiting for the meteor show to get cranking, I took advantage of the clear skies to try my hand at a star trail photo. I've read up on it, but haven't had the combination of a dark spot and clear skies to try it. I found a parking area with a view of Grandfather Mountain and gave it a try.

This was a combination of 24 images, 4 minutes each, at ISO 200.

JM_2014_12_13_StarTrails_Flat_001-XL.jpg

I have a few ideas for the next time I try this - I'll probably use a wider lens (this was 24mm on a full frame) and try some different framing ideas, to get more of the sky.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2014
    I think you did well, John. I'm not sure, though, I have enough patience to try such a shot. 24 exposures at 4 minutes each....phew.

You made me yearn for the mountains. I've seen that perspective of Grandfather Mountain so many times. Were you around the Foscoe area when you took the shot?

Merry Christmas, buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2014
    Thanks, Tom, I really appreciate that! I was on the parkway down near Linville, looking north towards Grandfather Mountain. Once I got everything set up, it wasn't so bad. The intervalometertook care of the timing, and I had my iPad along so I could do a little reading while I wasn't standing out looking at the stars.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Tom!