Options

Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2, any real world experience?

mingomingo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited December 27, 2014 in Accessories
I'm looking for some feedback on this unit and how well it works with cameras it was designed for and when loading pics to Smugmug if the photos are tagged by this unit accurately. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 24, 2014
    I have the GP-E1 version for the 1Dx, and it works superbly. I have no complaints with it.

It finds my location quickly, even if I have changed continents, and tags files accurately if I am out of doors and it can see the sky. It works pretty well in forest, but not under some roofs. Typical of most GPS units. I do not perceive any real effect on my camera's battery life either.

The unit actually aquires satellite fixes faster than I expected, from my Garmin units in my cars. All my images that are tagged with the GP-E1 are seen on Smugmug mapped correctly too.

One other feature that I really like with it, is that it gives you a real time compass bearing and altitude in Live View mode. This is a great help shooting stars at night in the dark. I really use this feature quite often at night.

I do not have any experience with the GP-E2, but I think it is pretty similar.

The GPS unit built into the 7D MkII seems pretty similar too, but i have less experience with using it - will know more in a few weeks.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The GPS unit built into the 7D MkII seems pretty similar too, but i have less experience with using it - will know more in a few weeks.

I've found it can take a while to lock on to a GPS signal. I don't have the GP-E1, curious about getting one but as far as the 7DII is considered sometimes it takes up to 2 minutes to lock.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 27, 2014
    Yes, in a new location, it can take a couple minutes to find itself, but even when changing continents it was just a couple minutes, and them it was just 10-30 seconds after that.

I have not timed the GPS on my 7D MkII - I will try to do that in the next few days when I am traveling again.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin