Options

Hurricane Frances...

PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
edited September 3, 2004 in People
I gotta tell ya...these Hurricanes make for interesting pics...
I just got back from getting gas and 3 tarps (bed, futon and electronics) in case the condo above me decides to leak. Below are the photos of the chaos outside. Cars honkin', people yellin' and I heard one guy say "Move it or lose it" to another guy in line outside the local Costco here. Enjoy the pics (and your good weather)...

8052401-M.jpg

8052184-M.jpg

8052266-M.jpg

8052405-M.jpg
Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    Thanks for the photos on people getting storm ready.

I have never done that, won't do that, not all those people.

YIKES, I am in Charleston SC, Hugo, Floyd......Duston.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    Wow, that's quite a crowd. I guess Charely scared them. Sure hope Frances continues to weaken.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    I never understood that mentality. I live in New England. Winter Blizzards are as common up here as tornados are in Kansas, but whenever the Channel 7 weather team's Todd Gross (remember him from The Perfect Storm?), whenever he talks about a big snow storm, the grocery store shelves are clear of bottled water. Do these people forget what snow is? IT'S WATER!!! Melt it and you can drink it!

But no, they storm the stores, clear it out and the next day, after the storm has ended, I go out, start my mini, drive around, roads are clear, stores are open, nothing has changed except everything is white.

So if a hurricane is coming, 160MPH winds, don't go shopping, go somewhere else! What are these people doing anyway? Shouldn't they be home nailing the shutters down? Instead they are out getting batteries and water. Batton down the hatches and go to Disneyworld or something for the next couple of days, they have food and water there for sure. :0)

My rant is over.

Doug
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2004
    Doug, you and I are of the same thinking, and I have been through a devastating hurricane where I lost everything, back in 1989. Shopping for water wouldn't have helped much there.

I do understand batteries, I am constantly talking "batteries", but I get them someplace fast. Gas is essential, or good to have, and cash. Water in the bath tub if you are going to stay at home. Something to drink is a good idea, but I want that anyway (diet coke and water)

I have never understood the big roundup of insurance papers. The insurance company has a copy. I never needed one. Same with doctors, etc.

One thing I don't think you realize with your winter storm analogy, Doug, there is no electricity, in many areas, after a big storm here. So the stores are not open. And one has no lights, that is why I do want batteries, but I want them anyway.

After the last storm, gusts to 80 mph and sustained winds at 70 mph (almost a hurricane, but a troical storm). Was last weekend, I took photos the night before, didn't know it was coming. We did not have electricity for more than 12 hrs, others did not have it for 24 hrs, no stores were open, none.......we looked. We use cable for our television and computer, the cable was out for us for 24 hrs.

So, it is not as simple as you make it sound. These storms are devastating. I just don't know why they all converge on the same stores. And I don't understand the obsession with water. Or bread, or non perishables. Etc.

Medicines need to be got in order, I made a list yesterday, just in case. I am in Charleston, SC. Not likely to get this one, but always vigilant. Or almost always.

I have wound my rant down, too. Whatever makes one comfortable I guess, getting out of town is what I have to prepare for in a big storm. I don't prepare hard, or long.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.