Options

My first attempts at focus stacking

smithwith3fssmithwith3fs Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 5, 2015 in Holy Macro
Hi Everyone - Happy New Year.

Looking at the Macro Focus stacking sticky I thought I would have a go myself.

Done with D200 and Tamron 90mm F2.8 using tripod and daylight. Processed in NX2 and CombineZM from RAW.

Anything you would have done different??

My first post so please be gentle :)

BTW if you know what types of fungi and moss they are I would welcome your answers - thanks.

15990442910_91e6e5eefb_b.jpg

16151950946_ea6df50578_b.jpg

15991950747_7a3c0e2460_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2015
    Welcome and congrats! Success! I hope to be able to do it someday this year! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2015
    Many thanks SB, if you have the time it is very rewarding! Cheers.
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    Very good stacks especially for first go.
    You do have stacking borders on the shots which need cropping off (looks like an image reflection at the edges). You can sometimes avoid these by reversing the stack (ie using the shot nearest the subject as the start).
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Thanks Brian, yes I see what you mean about the edges, not spotted that before I will have another go at stacking later to see if a reverse will cure it.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2015
    Had chance now to re- edit the moss shot. I used Combine ZP this time which seems to deal better with the grey area at the top of the picture (less noise). Also cropped it to remove 'stacked borders' as already suggested. It's good to know all the little things to look out for - thanks Brian.

I will be having more attempts in the coming days to see if I can improve my technique.

[URL="16170445186_4c6921cd17_b.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2015
    Very good stacks especially for first go.
    You do have stacking borders on the shots which need cropping off (looks like an image reflection at the edges). You can sometimes avoid these by reversing the stack (ie using the shot nearest the subject as the start).
    Brian v.

Hey Brian, where should I be looking at to see the 'reflections' in the original? It would help to learn! Cheers!
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2015
    They are bracket fungi, possibly two different species. I think the second one is a young Hoof or Tinder Bracket, Fomes fomentosus. They could both be the Turkeytail, Trametes versicolor, which is very variable in appearance.

I doubt that a moss can be identified without its spore capsules.

Harold
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2015
    Harold you are most kind thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Had chance now to re- edit the moss shot. I used Combine ZP this time which seems to deal better with the grey area at the top of the picture (less noise). Also cropped it to remove 'stacked borders' as already suggested. It's good to know all the little things to look out for - thanks Brian.

I will be having more attempts in the coming days to see if I can improve my technique.

[URL="http://"[url=https://flic.kr/p/qCVKZ5"][/URL]

Wonderful stack !
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hey Brian, where should I be looking at to see the 'reflections' in the original? It would help to learn! Cheers!

SB - they always occur near the edge and can be on 1 to 4 of the edges depending on frame movement. The combine series stackers use a reflection of the image as above. Zerene stacker uses a stripe effect.
    They are caused by that part of the image being missing in one or more of the stack slices. If you maintain an absolutely steady FOV then the image will be slightly wider in all directions in the slice furthest from the subject than in the one nearest. Hence if you reverse the stack to start with the slice nearest the subject it minimises the effect. If you get lateral movement drift whilst shooting the slices then you will get some sides with larger stacking border effects.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Wonderful stack !
    Brian v.

Very many thanks Brian.

I will be starting to go through your quite extensive Macro tutorials soon, I will post how I get on!