Options

The Hedgehog Fungus Hydnum repandum

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 5, 2015 in Holy Macro
Recently, its name was updated to Wood Hedgehog or Pied de Mouton.

Another toothed mushroom (see Toothpick Mushroom). It grows in deciduous or conifer woodland and is sold commercially. These were in private woods of a school, visited by special permission.

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105mm macro, TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

1074578.jpg?ts=1420290133

1074579.jpg?ts=1420290133

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    Mushroom is nice but BG is not that nice....pull it out and put it on a nice plane paper!:D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Mushroom is nice but BG is not that nice....pull it out and put it on a nice plane paper!:D

Thanks.

The background is something called "habitat". Of course, some specimens are found in the supermarket. rolleyes1.gif

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    Thanks.

The background is something called "habitat". Of course, some specimens are found in the supermarket. rolleyes1.gif

Harold

Get closer than, darkent bg or something.....it is good record photo if that was the intention.....if objective is to create art....well...fell short there.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Get closer than, darkent bg or something.....it is good record photo if that was the intention.....if objective is to create art....well...fell short there.
    Cheers!

I'm not too keen on the arty thing! In this case, there were so many twigs, brambles and suchlike that I cropped tight to cut most out. I don't believe in "gardening" apart from removing really intrusive items. I find the mushrooms themselves of sufficient aesthetic interest. If I could frame three, rather than two, I would, as it works better for any subject. (I have such a shot but DOF was insufficient).

Harold
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    Laughing.gif at habitat... rolleyes1.gif

Those "fronds" are unusual Harold.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Laughing.gif at habitat... rolleyes1.gif

Those "fronds" are unusual Harold.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul

Not too many mushrooms thrive in tidy, homogenous habitat. However, despite the fallen leaves and needles, the main association is with the roots of living trees, in mycorrhizal associations.

Harold