Options

Light and Shadows - Subzero Tango

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited January 18, 2015 in Landscapes
Epic road-trip to Yellowstone in winter, with my bro K-dog! Didn't think my first pilgrimage to Yellowstone would be in winter but after seeing shots from his previous winter trip, the decision was easy! The beauty and ruggedness of the place and harshness of the climate was mind blowing! While we chased wildlife 90% of our time, I couldn't leave without trying to capture some of the scenic beauty!

Main challenge was to not drive off icy roads into the valley below and not shiver to death. At times temperatures hit -36F. Before taking a shot, we had to ask, is this worth the pain that would result when we step out of the car? For me, answer was often yes!

All criticism and kind comments are truly cherished!!

1)
1W7A1521-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A1395-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A1441-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A1560-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A1756-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A1769-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A1612-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A1818-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A1926-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A1943-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A1984-X3.jpg

12)
1W7A2291-X3.jpg

13)
1W7A2314-X3.jpg

14)
1W7A2335-X3.jpg

15)
1W7A2357-X3.jpg

16)
1W7A2455-X3.jpg

17)
1W7A1851-X3.jpg

18)
1W7A1900-X3.jpg

19)
1W7A2072-X3.jpg

20)
1W7A2088-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    A great set of images. I typically get to Yellowstone about 3 times a year and I can recognize most of the places you have captured. It looks like you guys had a fantastic trip.

Favorites, 3,5,6,11,12,13,14,20 thumb.gifthumb. Did you see any Bighorn sheep on the mountains across the road from Soda Creek in #3?

IMHO it seems as if a few of your images have a blue cast. I'm not sure if that is intentional or the way they were shot. Shooting in the snow can be a tricky experience. It is my experience that you need to push your exposure 1-1/2+ st0ps to get a proper exposure in the snow and I have found that setting my WB for cloudy typically clears up the blue cast and warms up the overall colors.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set of images. I typically get to Yellowstone about 3 times a year and I can recognize most of the places you have captured. It looks like you guys had a fantastic trip.

Favorites, 3,5,6,11,12,13,14,20 thumb.gifthumb. Did you see any Bighorn sheep on the mountains across the road from Soda Creek in #3?

IMHO it seems as if a few of your images have a blue cast. I'm not sure if that is intentional or the way they were shot. Shooting in the snow can be a tricky experience. It is my experience that you need to push your exposure 1-1/2+ st0ps to get a proper exposure in the snow and I have found that setting my WB for cloudy typically clears up the blue cast and warms up the overall colors.

Phil

Thanks Phil! What a wonderful place this is! It is 18 hour drive from San Jose, so I think 3 times a year is out of quesion!:D

We did see the Big Horn Sheep, around Soda Butte, a Ram hanging of the cliff! It was great and hope the pictures turn out okay.

I was conscious of BLUE CAST when I shot and processed. Some of them such as #4 and #10 are PRE-DAWN Blue-Hour shots. That's how it was and had to tough the temps and conditions, and get up 2 hour before sunrise to drive there and try and capture it. I did tone it down just a tad, but not so much as to lose the blue hour colors. #9 and #10 are also Blue-Hour but after the sunset. So at least in those shots that was what I tried to capture and it was intentional.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    Well, if nothing else, Taz, you are prolific.:D It's hard to comment on so many images, aside from listing a few favorites....3,5,14,15 stand out for me.

Unbeknownst to you, you have done me a tremendous favor. I'm going to do an abrupt turnaround. After spending a total of 5 weeks in Yellowstone over a spread of two summertime trips, I'd decided to go for a Winter trip next time. Scratch that. This old Florida boy ain't geared for -36F.deal.gif.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    I like Number 3 & 5 the most. Great composition with number 3 it has to be said. Wish I'd taken it!

celticcompositions.co.uk
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2015
    3 and 14 standout for me.

3 - composition - various levels of texture, leading lines of the river, exposure, color, ...

14 - has the dreary winter tone for me. For this one I could see it be slightly blurred and it could have a dreamlike look.

5 - my first thought was "I wonder how a solo closeup of that tree would look".

As always - well done!

Question? How do you manage that low a temperature for the camera and lens? Wrap it up and slowly expose to cold and vice versa?

Phil
    (second Phil commenting.)
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    Well, if nothing else, Taz, you are prolific.:D It's hard to comment on so many images, aside from listing a few favorites....3,5,14,15 stand out for me.

Unbeknownst to you, you have done me a tremendous favor. I'm going to do an abrupt turnaround. After spending a total of 5 weeks in Yellowstone over a spread of two summertime trips, I'd decided to go for a Winter trip next time. Scratch that. This old Florida boy ain't geared for -36F.deal.gif.

Take care buddy,

Tom

Thanks Tom! I think you would like it there...it is Vodka weather!:D
    Bars were open, except on Christmas day!!deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    I like Number 3 & 5 the most. Great composition with number 3 it has to be said. Wish I'd taken it!

celticcompositions.co.uk

Thanks Carl! I wish your gallery was mine!wings.gif
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2015
    3 and 14 standout for me.

3 - composition - various levels of texture, leading lines of the river, exposure, color, ...

14 - has the dreary winter tone for me. For this one I could see it be slightly blurred and it could have a dreamlike look.

5 - my first thought was "I wonder how a solo closeup of that tree would look".

As always - well done!

Question? How do you manage that low a temperature for the camera and lens? Wrap it up and slowly expose to cold and vice versa?

Phil
    (second Phil commenting.)

Thanks Phil! Kind words as always!bowdown.gif
    Not sure why we didn't experience fogging issue....not sure I have a working theory for that.
    I did see icicles on camera screen repeated.....sometimes they formed on lens itself....couldn't clean it because lens cleaning fluid was frozen....couldn't get windshield clean even though the fluid was supposed to be working at -15F.....my push pull zoom lens, which is old lens, got stuck, sometime camera froze....battery died.....BUT no fogging.....that I can recall...

Saw many lone trees and drooled on all of them.......post holed to the couple I posted.....did not make it to all of them...for these ones at the moment I was there, this comp appeared attractive....but I did pine for Lone trees and saw them but it didn't work out.

Great input for #14. I was so concerned about at least getting some details....but should have thought about dreaminess angle....will play around with it to see.....

Happy holidays and Happy New Year!!
  • Options
    dragandjordjevicdragandjordjevic Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2015
    Nice and freezing. Very interesting light on most of them, love the foggy ones.

:)
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2015
    looks freezing! #11 is the standout for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Nice and freezing. Very interesting light on most of them, love the foggy ones.

:)

Thanks m8! Much appreciate it!!
    Qarik wrote: »
    looks freezing! #11 is the standout for me

Thanks Daniel! I am truly glad you liked it because landscape was filled with snow covered boulders. I wanted at least one useful shot with them! With more time, more could be done with them!

Have to note......your teachings at work! Cheers!
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2015
    #9 and #12 are my favs. Great stuff. Man, I wish I had time for photo expeditions ... (I hate you.)

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    hstrynrdhstrynrd Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2015
    I really like 12 and 14. I'm a sucker for #12; any time there is a tree cutting through fog/mist I really enjoy that.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    Wonderful set of winter images from Yellowstone. The only time I've been there is in the fall - I think winter sets a whole new look to the park. My favorites are 3, 6, 11 and of course the BW shots of the pools. Outstanding!clap.gifclap
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2015
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    #9 and #12 are my favs. Great stuff. Man, I wish I had time for photo expeditions ... (I hate you.)

Gary

Thanks Gary!bowdown.gif
    That's the nicest thing you have ever said to me!rolleyes1.gif
    hstrynrd wrote: »
    I really like 12 and 14. I'm a sucker for #12; any time there is a tree cutting through fog/mist I really enjoy that.

Thanks hstrynrd! Honest, could have stood their whole day and as light and fog changes you keep getting different shot each time!
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Wonderful set of winter images from Yellowstone. The only time I've been there is in the fall - I think winter sets a whole new look to the park. My favorites are 3, 6, 11 and of course the BW shots of the pools. Outstanding!clap.gifclap

Thanks Jo! Your support always is uplifting! I too thought that this is different mood of mother nature, and something we often don't see so bring as many memories as possible!wings.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2015
    Fantastik!!! I've looked at these a few times. You really covered all the tones; from the blues, warms, monos.... That is why I find it hard to pick one. 4 & 10 for the blues. 14 for mono...love the mist and over all image! 20 for the warms. All around image is 6 and 11... I think...:) All of them are great and considering the weather....wow!
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2015
    Looks like an epic trip, and it was worth it....but then again I wasn't in the cold.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    Fantastik!!! I've looked at these a few times. You really covered all the tones; from the blues, warms, monos.... That is why I find it hard to pick one. 4 & 10 for the blues. 14 for mono...love the mist and over all image! 20 for the warms. All around image is 6 and 11... I think...:) All of them are great and considering the weather....wow!

Thanks AnnaMaria! I have to resist the tendencies to post too many.....its learning process!:D
    Can't express enough gratitude for your kind comments and valuable input!
    Looks like an epic trip, and it was worth it....but then again I wasn't in the cold.

Thanks Mike! It was something else....worth to put on to do list! Appreciate your support! Cheers!
  • Options
    catcher33catcher33 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    Wyoming's a wonder back drop... did you go through the west entrance?
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2015
    catcher33 wrote: »
    Wyoming's a wonder back drop... did you go through the west entrance?

It is indeed! Spent most of the time on North Entrance near Gardiner, where wildlife was, but also spend couple of days via West Entance, where crowds were! I would suggest North if you have plans! Cheers!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    3, 7, 9 and 14 for me. I'd love to go there one of these days. nice work, great trip!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 13, 2015
    Nice to see your comps, Taz. The boulder shot came out really well! I think I slept in the warm car while recovering from the snowshoe hike while you shot that, probably -15F or colder at that point. Pretty good haul you got in those frigid temps. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    3, 7, 9 and 14 for me. I'd love to go there one of these days. nice work, great trip!
    kdog wrote: »
    Nice to see your comps, Taz. The boulder shot came out really well! I think I slept in the warm car while recovering from the snowshoe hike while you shot that, probably -15F or colder at that point. Pretty good haul you got in those frigid temps. thumb.gif

Thanks guys!bowdown.gif
    You rock!!
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2015
    Some absolutely great shots there, very 'crisp' in every sense! Would love to visit Yellowstone myself at some point, especially in the winter!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2015
    Some absolutely great shots there, very 'crisp' in every sense! Would love to visit Yellowstone myself at some point, especially in the winter!

Thanks Tom! Much appreciate it! I think you would like it in Yellowstone!
    Just saw your gallery! Wow! Spectacular Edinburgh indeed!

http://www.tomfosterphotos.com/Popular/i-sNzvg9r/A

Nice to see you capture a starship leaving earth for new places....!:Dbowdown.gif
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2015
    Wonderful shots, but I think you've persuaded me not to go there in winter.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Wonderful shots, but I think you've persuaded me not to go there in winter.

Thanks Don!! If you can handle desert, you can handle anything, I am sure of it! Cheers!
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    nice set
    I'll visit Yellowstone in fall or spring
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2015
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    nice set
    I'll visit Yellowstone in fall or spring

Thanks Brett! Both seasons should be fantastic there! I have seen shots posted here by others during fall and it was something uniquely beautiful!
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    Really liking 3, 5, 6, 17, 19
    Honestly a lot of great images there, but I liked those the most!
    And major props to getting those images in the rough temperatures like that, I imagine it must make it much more difficult to pull off.
    I'm heading to Alaska this coming week and not looking forward to the cold part of the experience :)
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com