Options

It is a lonely think

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited January 8, 2015 in People
Hi all,
This summer I was at Baltimore for a conference with my colleague. It was night at the time we were returning back from the night beer to hotel. I did not have any flash but still I wanted to take a shot of him.. In that time the only available light was coming from a lamp and thus I had to work with that light.

We tried a few different things and this is one of the shots I liked where his face was lit from a street lamp.
I guess you might not like since I am not using any well known rule..
But I like the results. Is as crazy I want a shot to be .. it has the energy I like and is really different in a way that says also something about me...

So what now..? (it feels lonely to me though)

Regards
Alex

(well where is the shot then?)

(here)
i-scTqS4H-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2015
    I like the one with your subjects mouth closed better.....
  • Options
    alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    you mean this ?
    i-XD7CbpM-L.jpg

or in general what I shoot to be with closed mouth?
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2015
    Just for this series I prefer the closed mouth. And the background light appears better with the closed mouth - almost like a divine sign compared to the first.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2015
    the framing is much better on the closed mouth shot..the light and bokeh look great. The open mouth pose has a lot of drama potential but does not have enough emotion...it looks like he is just opening his mouth wide..if he had been screaming for example then the pose would have been worked well (like he was screaming out the light!)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 8, 2015
    The second works a lot better for me. The lighting definitely works but I think I might like the tiniest bit of flash to fill mwink.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?