Options

Gallery with low res downloads and hi res prints?

mthibodeaumthibodeau Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited October 4, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Is there a way to set up a gallery so that clients can download a small low res file with watermark, but also order prints from a hi res version in the same gallery? I have the Portfolio plan.
Thanks - I've poked around at the options but can't figure it out.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 18, 2015
    mthibodeau wrote: »
    Is there a way to set up a gallery so that clients can download a small low res file with watermark, but also order prints from a hi res version in the same gallery? I have the Portfolio plan.
    All purchased products will strip the watermark off. If you want a mark on the finished products - apparently including digital downloads - you can use printmarks. The problem here is that you would need to have the photos set to include a printmark and if you want there not to be a printmark on the prints you would actually need to remove the printmark prior to approving the print purchase.

From the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93344:
    Tip: We highly recommend that you enable Proof Delay in your galleries so you can review and adjust orders as they get placed.

Gotcha: You can always remove Printmarks for print and gift orders held for proofing, but remember that digital downloads are available right away and cannot be changed.

But - this is assuming that you plan to charge for the downloads. If you charge for both the downloads and the prints then the photos can reside in a single gallery.

If you want the downloads to be free you would need to allow access to the original image. In that case I would recommend uploading low resolution versions of photos - with watermarks applied prior to upload - to a different gallery with access to the original allowed and right-click "protection" turned off. This will enable the download button.
  • Options
    mthibodeaumthibodeau Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    So different galleries seems like the best option, then - that's what I was thinking, but didn't know if there was an easy to keep it all in one gallery. I did a fundraiser and so people already paid a sitting fee that included web-sharable pics, so those need to be downloadable, but there's an option to order prints after the fact, so those need to be not-downloadable. Thanks for the quick help.
  • Options
    stlphotostlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 4, 2015
    Related: Upload originals, keep smugmug sizes at low res?
    This post/question is related and hope that this the appropriate thread.

I think I'm trying to solve the same problem, more or less.

Basically, I'd like to be able to upload print quality originals, 240 or 300ppi at 100%. So I'd like to understand how SmugMug renders their display sizes. Is it possible to upload print quality and yet have the Lr6/SM publish service setup to display sizes at a lower resolution? or ppi?

I'm still working through the various settings in the SM publish service to see if I can figure this out or if the publish service and/or SM does not support what I'm trying to do.

I know other's have suggested setting up different galleries, but that seems redundant and also uses a lot of space, and time, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JD