high school diving meet help?

coach-alcoach-al Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited January 16, 2006 in Sports
Hi all,

I've done most sports but diving isn't one of them. I have a few diving meets on the schedule in the next month. These will be outside pools so the light should be very good (I'm in Hawaii). Any tips on angles or locations, what makes a good diving photo, or anything you can think of to make my first attempt better is much appreciated.:)

I should have good access. In a few of the pools there are places where I can shoot from a 2nd story and still be pretty close to the action. Is this worth a try?

Al

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hi all,

I've done most sports but diving isn't one of them. I have a few diving meets on the schedule in the next month. These will be outside pools so the light should be very good (I'm in Hawaii). Any tips on angles or locations, what makes a good diving photo, or anything you can think of to make my first attempt better is much appreciated.:)

I should have good access. In a few of the pools there are places where I can shoot from a 2nd story and still be pretty close to the action. Is this worth a try?

Al

wave.gif Happy New Year, Al!

What's your gear situation? Body, lenses? ear.gif
  • coach-alcoach-al Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Happy New Year, Al!

What's your gear situation? Body, lenses? ear.gif

Hi Andy,

D70, Sigma 100-300 F4, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 18-70

I figured the 70-200 would give me the flexibility and coverage I needed but I'd leave everything else in the car just in case.

Thanks for such a prompt response.

Al
    edited January 1, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hi Andy,

D70, Sigma 100-300 F4, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Nikon 50 1.8, Nikon 85 1.8, Nikon 18-70

I figured the 70-200 would give me the flexibility and coverage I needed but I'd leave everything else in the car just in case.

Thanks for such a prompt response.

Al

Can you go to a practice - and, well, practice? I'm not sure that the 50 won't be your lens of choice deal.gif

Anyhow, here are my thoughts: you'll need to know where the sun will be, and make sure you've got it somehow, somewhat behind you. You'll want to shoot *fast* shutter speed - like 1/1000th, so you'll need to probably be at ISO 400 to get any decent DOF (smaller aperture). Use your camera's AF-C Servo mode, and practice panning and shooting full bursts - I recommend shooting in RAW so on the D70 you'll get 4 shots in a burst - enough to get one on the board and 3 in the air I should think. Watch the exposure - you'll probably want to set a bit of negative EC (maybe -1/3 or 2/3s). You'll be in RAW so I wouldn't worry about WB until post.

Get some shots on the board, in the air, and don't forget that perfect shot of them entering the pool knife-like! If you can nail your JPG white balance and color parms, then shoot in JPG you'll have 12 continuous frames for each dive.

I hope this helps!

All the best,
    edited January 1, 2006
    Thanks Andy. Yes, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Interesting that you said the 50 might be the best lens. I'll be sure to bring it but I hardly ever use it for anything. I guess I like filling the frame too much. Just did wrestling where I could get real close and I STILL used the 85.

I was figuring the 70-200 because I could then move around a lot and still be "close enough".

Your idea of a practice day, of course, is an excellent suggestion and I will try to do that at least for a little while.

Thanks again, Al
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 2, 2006
    You don't mention where you will be on the deck. That will influence
    which lens is best.

Aside from what Andy mentioned, I'd want to create a bit of a shooting
    plan. For example; some shots of each diver on the diving board or tower,
    some during a peak moment of a dive, some entry shots, you get the
    idea. Try and think about what you'd like to accomplish and you'll get some
    nice shots.

I might shoot from the far end of the pool or perhaps from the
    "favored" side of the pool at an angle that's interesting. By favored side,
    I mean the one that's got the best lighting. By shooting from the long end
    you'll have a chance at nice blurred background but you have the option
    to include divers that might be waiting their turn. The later would be useful
    if you have a leader on the board with the second place diver waiting to
    take the platform.

When you've got some shots, share them with us. I'm sure there's interest
    in seeing your shots.

Happy New Year!
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 2, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    You don't mention where you will be on the deck. That will influence
    which lens is best.

Good point. I don't know what the rules are for access in diving but will find out soon. This first meet will be held at our school where I always get as much access as is allowed. I'm guessing I can walk around the pool wherever I want. There also is a 2 story locker room with a balcony running along the length of the pool on one side. I was thinking that I could get some nice shots from there. Does giving myself height work as an advantage in diving?

If I'm shooting from the other end of the pool I might even go to the 100-300, but at least the 70-200. It's a big pool. Actually I have a picture of the pool on one of my sites at

http://www.iolani-events.org/welcome.htm

and

http://www.iolani-events.org/facilities-athletics.htm

The first pic was taken from the balcony near the far end of the pool from the diving. The meet is at 2pm so the balcony will be the "favored" side.

Aside from what Andy mentioned, I'd want to create a bit of a shooting
    plan. For example; some shots of each diver on the diving board or tower,
    some during a peak moment of a dive, some entry shots, you get the
    idea. Try and think about what you'd like to accomplish and you'll get some
    nice shots.

I might shoot from the far end of the pool or perhaps from the
    "favored" side of the pool at an angle that's interesting. By favored side,
    I mean the one that's got the best lighting. By shooting from the long end
    you'll have a chance at nice blurred background but you have the option
    to include divers that might be waiting their turn. The later would be useful
    if you have a leader on the board with the second place diver waiting to
    take the platform.

When you've got some shots, share them with us. I'm sure there's interest
    in seeing your shots.

Thanks so much Ian. A new sport is always exciting to me and diving seems to have the potential for spectacular shots which is what gets my ticker going. I do mostly sports photography for the school plus running sports for the USATF. My school site is at

http://www.iolani-events.org/index.htm

where you can get an idea of what I do. So far I've covered a lot of soccer, (night) football, (indoor) volleyball, softball, (indoor) wrestling, and cross-country. I have other sites that concentrate on a specific team, XC, track and intermediate tennis and soccer. Occassionally I do non-athletic events like graduation and performing arts. It's a lot of fun.:))

Thanks again, Al
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm sure there's interest
    in seeing your shots.

There sure is!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 2, 2006
    Aloha,

I took a look at the pool shot. Nice. A 50m pool with diving at one end.
    The balcony will give you an opportunity for different angles. I'd use it but
    I wouldn't shoot exclusively from it.

One thing that leaps out in the photo is that the pool is in it's own canyon
    of sorts. The buildings on either side will greatly affect the quality of the
    light as the event progresses.

I'm going to suggest you shoot with your 70-200 for the long shots and
    remind you to spend some time at the pool during the time frame of the
    meet--this will give you an idea where the sun will be and also some idea
    of exposures. But don't leave your gear in the car. Take it with you.
    Several reasons. First and foremost, when you want to bust out the 100-300
    (which during the brightest parts of the meet, you could use for close-up
    type stuff--the diver's expression or maybe team mates talking), you'll
    have it. Secondly, leaving gear in a hot car isn't the best idea not to
    mention it makes an attractive target.

Something you might also consider doing is calling the ADs for the other
    schools and arranging access and permission to shoot.

I took a look at some of the other sports shots. You've got some nice
    ones in there.

Ian
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    You should see how others shoot it, give you some ideas, both for copying and for doing things your own way.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=diving+competition&btnG=Search
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    All good advice. Also watch the diver's as they surface after a dive. They might give a celebatory fist-pumping after a good dive, or some other interesting reaction that would make a good photo. I would try not to zoom in too much as you might loose a sense of height to the dive.

How many dives does everyone get? You might do dive 1 from this vantage point, dive 2 from a different one, dive 3 get entry, dive 4 get initial launch, etc.

Another thing to remember about panning as the diver drops is this. As soon as the diver leaves the platform he becomes a ballistic object, and thus subject to acceleration under gravity. Emphasis on acceleration. In other words, he is not dropping at a constant rate. So you likewise need to accelerate your downward panning as well. Try very hard to keep the diver centered and on your focus point. If he leaves the focus point your camera might try to quickly re-focus on the background.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited January 3, 2006
    thanks Ian
    I took a look at the pool shot. Nice. A 50m pool with diving at one end.
    The balcony will give you an opportunity for different angles. I'd use it but
    I wouldn't shoot exclusively from it.

Yup, that's what I was thinking too.:):

One thing that leaps out in the photo is that the pool is in it's own canyon
    of sorts. The buildings on either side will greatly affect the quality of the
    light as the event progresses.

Yes, this could be a big factor but not as much as the soccer field where it goes from sun to shade to sun to shade! The big buildings from Waikiki throw shadows on the field that really become a factor after about 4pm. With the pool the shade will come but I'm guessing it will be all shade when it comes. I've got to check that out though.

I'm going to suggest you shoot with your 70-200 for the long shots and
    remind you to spend some time at the pool during the time frame of the
    meet--this will give you an idea where the sun will be and also some idea
    of exposures. But don't leave your gear in the car. Take it with you.
    Several reasons. First and foremost, when you want to bust out the 100-300
    (which during the brightest parts of the meet, you could use for close-up
    type stuff--the diver's expression or maybe team mates talking), you'll
    have it. Secondly, leaving gear in a hot car isn't the best idea not to
    mention it makes an attractive target.

Good points.

Something you might also consider doing is calling the ADs for the other
    schools and arranging access and permission to shoot.

I guess I'm in sort of a unique situation. I shoot for our school so I've never had a problem at one of our events. At other schools they also welcome me with open arms as they pretty much all know what I'm doing at the AD level. My goal has been to give exposure to those sports that don't usually get much so I've never had a problem with getting access.

I took a look at some of the other sports shots. You've got some nice
    ones in there.

Thanks.:):

Ian[/quote]
    edited January 3, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    All good advice. Also watch the diver's as they surface after a dive. They might give a celebatory fist-pumping after a good dive, or some other interesting reaction that would make a good photo. I would try not to zoom in too much as you might loose a sense of height to the dive.

How many dives does everyone get? You might do dive 1 from this vantage point, dive 2 from a different one, dive 3 get entry, dive 4 get initial launch, etc.

I'm waiting for an answer from one of the parents as to the details of how the meet works. But thank you for your tips. That's the kind of stuff I'll have to learn quickly. I'm really looking forward to this as the parents actually asked me to come so I know there will be a lot of interest.

Another thing to remember about panning as the diver drops is this. As soon as the diver leaves the platform he becomes a ballistic object, and thus subject to acceleration under gravity. Emphasis on acceleration. In other words, he is not dropping at a constant rate. So you likewise need to accelerate your downward panning as well. Try very hard to keep the diver centered and on your focus point. If he leaves the focus point your camera might try to quickly re-focus on the background.

Excellent point. Thanks.:)
    edited January 15, 2006
    Just did my first meet
    Hi all,

Thanks for all of your advice a few weeks ago.

Last week I had a chance to do the warmups but since my diver wasn't diving I did a basketball game instead.

Yesterday she did dive so I went to the meet. It was at a different pool. I was tied up at another event so I couldn't get there early which I wanted to. This was another nice pool but I had a lot of trouble trying to find a nice background, which I'm finding is crucial to getting a great shot. I moved around, nothing satisfied me. After she was done diving I climbed a building that had balconies, tried from every level but there was always something in the way.

As I was leaving I found a place outside the pool where I could shoot through a fence that had plenty of space between the bars just about 10 feet from the back of the diving board. I shot a few before I left and will definitely try that again next week which is at this same pool.

Here's a shot of the girl I went to shoot.

52447595-L.jpg

Here's a shot from the location I want to try more of.

52447772-L.jpg

I love the shots where the water is the background. From the side is better though. I had a pretty good location until the judges put up an umbrella which blocked the view. Oh well....

Love diving though.:))

BTW, my diver came in 2nd in the intermediate division. The intermediates do 6 dives, the JV and Varsity do 10.

Al
    edited January 15, 2006
    Nice work, Al!

I fixed your links for you. Use the "share photo: links forums, blogs" button under your photo, and copy the -L image link. that's the link you want :D

Looks like you did great! The bg's are tough in these situations, I dig your determination!
    edited January 15, 2006
    thanks Andy
    Thank you. I was wondering why the image didn't show up.

What's bg's?

later, Al

Andy wrote:
    Nice work, Al!

I fixed your links for you. Use the "share photo: links forums, blogs" button under your photo, and copy the -L image link. that's the link you want :D

Looks like you did great! The bg's are tough in these situations, I dig your determination!
    edited January 15, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    What's bg's?

backgrounds
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 16, 2006
    That shot from the balcony is pretty good. I like tht angle. Now if you
    could just tighten it up a tad, you'd get rid of the ugly pool divider, the
    deck and maybe the flags too.

Look forward to seeing more.

Ian
    edited January 16, 2006
    Ian, you might want to look here
    My smugmug galleries are all uncropped. My school events website has a lot of my favorite shots for each event. Here is the latest diving page. It just so happens that I used that image as one of the pictures so you can see how I cropped it.

http://www.iolani-events.org/011406-diving.htm

Feel free to look around.:))

Al
    ian408 wrote:
    That shot from the balcony is pretty good. I like tht angle. Now if you
    could just tighten it up a tad, you'd get rid of the ugly pool divider, the
    deck and maybe the flags too.

Look forward to seeing more.

Ian
    edited January 16, 2006
    can you post exif info for these shots?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 16, 2006
    Exif
    DavidTO wrote:
    can you post exif info for these shots?

If you go to

http://coach-al.smugmug.com/gallery/1126346/16/52447595

And click on EXIF I think that will work. This is the first picture I posted which was in the middle of my shoot. Those settings should be fairly typical of what I used that day. Feel free to check out more in the gallery.

Al
    edited January 16, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    My smugmug galleries are all uncropped. My school events website has a lot of my favorite shots for each event. Here is the latest diving page. It just so happens that I used that image as one of the pictures so you can see how I cropped it.

http://www.iolani-events.org/011406-diving.htm

Feel free to look around.:))

Al

You got some nice shots!

I'm a huge fan of Bokeh. Especially for individual sports. You could try
    shooting from farther to the camera's right side, wide open. That'd also
    give you a more head on shot.

Say, can we trade you some of our rain for your sun :D ??
    edited January 16, 2006
    Hi Ian,

Thanks,

I tried to move more to the right but those d*mn flags and stuff they have hanging over the pool were in the way. I also tried from all the way across the pool but that stuff still got in the way. If it were my school's pool I could try to get it taken down just for the meet but I hesitate to "make waves" at another school (but I might). I do know the assistant AD at that school....hmmm...

About the weather. Yup, it's probably the best in the world.:))

later,
    ian408 wrote:
    You got some nice shots!

I'm a huge fan of Bokeh. Especially for individual sports. You could try
    shooting from farther to the camera's right side, wide open. That'd also
    give you a more head on shot.

Say, can we trade you some of our rain for your sun :D ??