Options

Amphibians in Northern Greece

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 31, 2015 in Holy Macro
These large toads/frogs were sunning themselves around a large pool in the countryside of Northern Greece (Zagori). (In he pool there were newts). I don't know whether these are frogs or toads. The appearance is of toads but they made huge leaps into the water, suggesting they are frogs. When it comes to it, there is no complete separation between the two. There could even be three or four species here.

The sunlight was very harsh and I was only able to shoot against the sun for the first two. The results were that the near sides of the subjects were very dark in the images and it as taken a lot of PP to show colour and detail there. I have reprocessed the last one a couple of times and still have a problem with a highlight behind the eye.

EP-2, Olympus ED 70-300mm 4/3 AF, hand-held, sunlight.

All at ISO 400 (I had been doing macro o dragonflies) 1/2000 f5.6, 1/1600 f5.6, 1/400 f5.6, 1/160 f9, all at 300mm.

Harold

1087300.jpg

1087301.jpg

1087302.jpg

1087303.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Quite like #1 but not keen on the the others- The PP looks odd to me.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2015
    Quite like #1 but not keen on the the others- The PP looks odd to me.
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

In fact the first one has had a lot of PP, mostly digital fill light. It's the last one, which has probably had the least, which persists in looking unnatural. I have reprocessed that one from scratch several times and it always looks rather unreal. The first three would have been better at f8, a learning experience, as I very rarely shoot anything at 300mm.

Harold