Options

Jacksonville Skyline

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited February 5, 2015 in Landscapes
I spent MLK weekend in Savannah, GA and saw that Jacksonville was just a little bit down the road. I've never been there, so I took a ride down for the day.

This was looking across the St. John River, near the Friendship Fountain plaza. The bridge on the right is under repair, and that's a big spotlight they have for the construction crews. I'll have to return when the work is done and try this shot again!

JM_2015_01_17_Jacksonville_006-XL.jpg

Another view, with Friendship Fountain in the foreground.

JM_2015_01_17_Jacksonville_005-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited February 2, 2015
    #2 for me. That's a really fun looking shot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    If you go back, go up to the The Skyline on the 42nd floor of the
    Bank of America building. That's the tallest building in your first
    photograph. The one with the triangle-shaped top.

The Skyline is a cafeteria on that floor, but you can walk around
    the entire perimeter of the floor and photograph the scene below
    from any side. You have to hold your lens up to the window, but
    you can get some stunning images of the bridge, the St John's,
    and the scenes below.

You don't have to be a customer of the restaurant. You just
    take the elevator up and walk around. I bought a cup of coffee
    just as the "price of admission" but no one asked me to. No one
    objected to me photographing. No admission charge.

I like to photograph people, not scenes, and I got some good
    shots in Laura Park which is very near that building. I won't
    add those photos here, but a few samples are here::

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-bzkPd4K/0/X2/2013-11-20-130b-X2.jpg
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-VgssR8K/0/X2/2013-11-20-103b-X2.jpg
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-cwJvN3V/0/X2/2013-11-20-108B-X2.jpg

I live in Orlando, but Jax is a good road trip for me.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    Very nice work, John. I actually like the construction light in the first one. That second one really highlights your prowess as a night shooter. Next time you are in my town, give me a call. If possible for you, I'll run you down to St. Augustine for some real exciting stuff.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    Please tell me what settings and post production technique on #1. Photoshop? Lightroom? I really like both of these!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    I really like #1 with the light on the bridge as-is. I'd be curious to see what it looks like without, but feel the light helps pull me into viewing the bridge which it worth looking at.

I like the overall lighting/color/mood of #2
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Very nice work, John. I actually like the construction light in the first one. That second one really highlights your prowess as a night shooter. Next time you are in my town, give me a call. If possible for you, I'll run you down to St. Augustine for some real exciting stuff.

Take care,

Tom
    Thank you, Tom, I really appreciate that! This was a last minute trip - Thursday night my weekend plans cancelled, Friday afternoon I decided to go to Savannah, and Friday night, looking at some stuff online, I decided to take a run to Jacksonville on Saturday. I took a loop through Amelia Island and down by the beach as well. I will certainly give you a shout the next time I think I'll be down that way. I look forward to getting together.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    If you go back, go up to the The Skyline on the 42nd floor of the
    Bank of America building. That's the tallest building in your first
    photograph. The one with the triangle-shaped top...
    Thanks for the tip, Tony, and I love the shots you linked. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    Please tell me what settings and post production technique on #1. Photoshop? Lightroom? I really like both of these!
    Thank you! The first was shot was 13 seconds, f/16, ISO 100. The second was 13 seconds at f/11. I start in Adobe Camera Raw, doing basics - cropping, leveling, and tweaking exposure and saturation. From there, I go into Photoshop for any additional editing - I usually don't do a lot there, just dust spots and such. I use the Nik Software sharpening tool - one think I always do, a carryover from my aviation photos, is to exclude the sky when I sharpen an image.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    #2 for me. That's a really fun looking shot.
    Thanks! That fountain was pretty neat - the sprays changed height, and the lights cycle through a series of colors - blue, green, pink, and a couple others.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    Very nice shots, Moose. Construction light or not.