Strange Tunnel

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited January 6, 2006 in Holy Macro
Went to go explore the "Schmitt Tunnel" near Red Rock State Park in California. Interesting place. Apparently this guy (Schmitt) took approx 30 years of his life (starting in the early 1900s) to dig this mine. Eventually, the digging popped out the other side of the mountain. So, now it's a tunnel that goes from one side of the mountain to the other (about .5 miles long). It is open to the public so you can hike through the entire thing. Couldn't resist...had to take a few shots:

A shot from the entrance of the tunnel.
50586080-L.jpg

A shot from inside the tunnel of the tracks leading to the entrance.
50586123-L.jpg

The view from the other side of the tunnel.
50586206-L.jpg

The entrance at the other side of the tunnel.
50586357-L.jpg

Another view of the tracks and tunnel entrance from inside.
50586484-L.jpg

As you might imagine, all of the "in-tunnel" shots were very low light. Most were 30+ sec exposures, thus the noise. Quite an interesting place. I'll have to go back sometime and try some different angles and lighting.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Looks Great
    aero-nut wrote:
    Went to go explore the "Schmitt Tunnel" near Red Rock State Park in California. Interesting place. Apparently this guy (Schmitt) took approx 30 years of his life (starting in the early 1900s) to dig this mine. Eventually, the digging popped out the other side of the mountain. So, now it's a tunnel that goes from one side of the mountain to the other (about .5 miles long). It is open to the public so you can hike through the entire thing. Couldn't resist...had to take a few shots:
    A shot from the entrance of the tunnel.
    A shot from inside the tunnel of the tracks leading to the entrance.
    The view from the other side of the tunnel.
    The entrance at the other side of the tunnel.
    Another view of the tracks and tunnel entrance from inside.
    As you might imagine, all of the "in-tunnel" shots were very low light. Most were 30+ sec exposures, thus the noise. Quite an interesting place. I'll have to go back sometime and try some different angles and lighting.

WOW........what a great place........I LOVE that first shot iloveyou.gif looks like it's screaming "come and explore me" ...... or your expecting a coal train to come down it with you having no place to run eek7.gif

Great series, that first shot does it for me thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    i saw your first picture and was amazed. then i scrolled down to the second picture and that one really did it for me, i really love that one. great job!
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Super super seriesthumb.gif
  • eye-maxeye-max Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    The 1st & 2nd shots thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif In the first shot, is that the existing lighting or did you create it? Either way, this is a terrific shot, it keeps drawing me deeper into the picture. Very dramatic lighting in #2
    max
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 2, 2006
    Cool place.

Extremely creative captures. I'd print those first two out as large as I could and frame them.
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Thanks all, for the kind comments. It was great fun just exploring the tunnel. It's definately something that anyone in Southern CA should go see on their way to Mammoth. :D I wouldn't make a seperate trip for it though...

Oh, eye-max, it was natural lighting except the last one, where I used a flashlight to augment the foreground rocks a little.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    number 1 and 2 are absolutely phenominal! great jobclap.gif i love the lighting, and how only the rails are lit up.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited January 2, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    number 1 and 2 are absolutely phenominal! great jobclap.gif i love the lighting, and how only the rails are lit up.

Thanks, Daniel! I appriciate the comment. I was definately struck by the lighting there...If it was a cloudy day outside, I don't know if they would have come out as defined.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Cool shots nut!
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Aero,

You finally made it up to Burrow Schmitts Tunnel. Did you got to his house and take any pics? The first shot is double sweet. When I went up there I didn't go in it at all but I did go into his house.

Mikko
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Now that's a strange hobby. eek7.gif Cool shots.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    Great study in shadows. Very cool.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Man those first two shots are just incredible! I think my favorite is the 2nd one with the rails lit up and the light coming around the corner. Fantastic work! thumb.gif
    -- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)
    edited January 6, 2006
    Mikko wrote:
    Aero,

You finally made it up to Burrow Schmitts Tunnel. Did you got to his house and take any pics? The first shot is double sweet. When I went up there I didn't go in it at all but I did go into his house.

Mikko

Hey Mikko,

Nope...didn't take any shots of his house. Not sure why. It was pretty trashed, and looked like people had ransacked it pretty severely. There was trash everywhere. Apparently, someone (who had taken it on as their responsibility to take care of the place and maintain the tunnel) was forced to leave by BLM. I think they were living at Schmitt's old camp house. There were signs up urging people to send protests to BLM about it, and they were fairly recent. Kinda weird.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006