Oog!

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited January 2, 2006 in Finishing School
I have this photo and its definately out of gamut (OOG) after all the lab color corrections.

Any suggestions?

80831725_c7d9883abd.jpg?v=0

Should i use RGB to try to reduce the color?

Also, i have to keep in mind that the printer (walmart) where i'm printing it at requires keeping the photo in sRGB mode. They print quality digital prints by the way.

I think i might need to reread chapter 11 (imaginary colors) again from DM's LAB color book.
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I have this photo and its definately out of gamut (OOG) after all the lab color corrections.

Any suggestions?

80831725_c7d9883abd.jpg?v=0

Should i use RGB to try to reduce the color?

Also, i have to keep in mind that the printer (walmart) where i'm printing it at requires keeping the photo in sRGB mode. They print quality digital prints by the way.

I think i might need to reread chapter 11 (imaginary colors) again from DM's LAB color book.

Keep in mind that, whatever color values you are getting in LAB, out of gamut or otherwise, what you are seeing is already in RGB gamut, by definition, since that is the gamut available to your monitor. Even if the LAB color is impossible—something along the lines of 0, 128, 128, Photoshop will display SOMETHING, an approximation that gets as close to the color as possible. This is why it's always advisable to convert to RGB before CMYK, should that be your destination space, since Photoshop is able to reach the best compromise out of LAB in RGB.

In this case, if the image is in LAB, simply Convert To Profile and select sRGB IEC61966-2.1. If your default RGB working space is Adobe RGB or some other more exotic space, you might see a slight shift in hues, but most likely you won't notice any change at all.

A different question, and perhaps one that you are also asking, is whether or not the colors you see are the colors you want. A different issue with a different solution. But it's not a gamut issue.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Thanks that makes sense.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    edgework wrote:
    But it's not a gamut issue.

Yep. If you preview gamut going from RGB or LAB to CMYK you'll most likely see a difference, since CMYK is a smaller space than RGB....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops