Options

Can I integrate my Wordpress blog into my Smugmug site?

LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited March 2, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi all,
I'm trying to make my site a bit more seamless, and I'd like to get my blog onto the site rather than redirecting to a separate Wordpress domain. I've done some digging, but haven't seen an easy way to do this.

I found the "feed" block under Content -> Social, and added the feed address of my blog, but it looks terrible, doesn't include the pictures, and I can't figure out how to customize it. What I'd really like is to simply embed my blog into the site, but I don't know if that's actually possible.

Has anyone found a good way to do this? I want to keep all of the functions of the Wordpress blog - commenting, subscribing, etc. - but without having to redirect people to Wordpress.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2015
    Just commenting here as I too would be interested in this. I'd considered starting a smugmug based blog but WordPress presumably is set up to do that much more easily so integration would be ideal! Hopefully someone smart here has an idea! :)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited February 24, 2015
    You might look at Hikin' Mike's site, http://gallery.imagesinthebackcountry.com/. He has matched his smug site to his Wordpress blog. There may be some posts around discussing his work.

I have seen plugins to embed a smug gallery in a wordpress site but that's the opposite of your request.

I have matched my blogger blog to my smugmug site. The URLs are different but I believe the transition is seamless.

Integrating your blog into your smug site typically means some level of compromise. If you write a decent amount or post often in your blog I would argue that using smugmug pages for your blog is not a good solution; choosing to use a blogging platform like WordPress or Blogger makes more sense to me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    Mike's site is well done! And I too would like to see a way to integrate Wordpress and SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2015
    Poindexter wrote: »
    Mike's site is well done! And I too would like to see a way to integrate Wordpress and SmugMug.
    I believe your choices are to use a feed to embed your blog into smugmug, or to do the customization work to match either your smugmug site to your blog (which is what Hikin' Mike did) or to match your blog to your smugmug site (which is what I did).

There was a discussion about this relative to blogger in this thread - while the two blogging platforms are very different I think the overall options are the same.

Some people have chosen to use pages in smugmug to create their blog. That might work if you don't write very often but I don't believe it is a good solution for those of us who post often in our blogs, combining words and photos.

I'm afraid you will need to select from one of these options.

--- Denise
  • Options
    LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    Yes, it's well done . . . one of my questions is about getting the domains to match up. I don't want "wordpress" in my blog domain anymore, but rather I want to have my blog on the same domain as my website.

I currently just have a free wordpress.com blog, though it sounds like I will need to migrate to wordpress.org to make any of this happen. Once I've done that, how do I get my Smugmug site (www.manifestphoto.com) and my wordpress blog to be on the same domain?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2015
    LiveAwake wrote: »
    I currently just have a free wordpress.com blog, though it sounds like I will need to migrate to wordpress.org to make any of this happen. Once I've done that, how do I get my Smugmug site (www.manifestphoto.com) and my wordpress blog to be on the same domain?
    One is defined as a subdomain.

For example:
    Smugmug site = photos dot manifestphoto dot com
    blog = www dot manifestphoto dot com
    or
    SmugMug site = www dot manifestphoto dot com
    blog = blog dot manifestphoto dot com
    You would define the subdomain at your domain registrar's site.

Assuming that you keep your smugmug site as the main domain (using www) then you wouldn't need to change anything on your smug site. But if you change the URL for your smug site you will need to update the domain specified to smugmug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    LiveAwake wrote: »
    Yes, it's well done . . . one of my questions is about getting the domains to match up. I don't want "wordpress" in my blog domain anymore, but rather I want to have my blog on the same domain as my website.

My Smugmug site is a sub-domain. In your case, you can still have your SM site 'www.manifestphoto.com' and create a subdomain like 'blog.manifestphoto.com'. Subdomains are considered a new domain so you can upload WordPress into that sub-domain.
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2015
    My Smugmug site is a sub-domain. In your case, you can still have your SM site 'www.manifestphoto.com' and create a subdomain like 'blog.manifestphoto.com'. Subdomains are considered a new domain so you can upload WordPress into that sub-domain.
    Thanks Mike, seems like a good way of doing it! Checked your site and it's really integrated very well! :)