A New World

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited January 2, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm a New Grinner and I've been watching for some time; I guess it is time to learn through participation. Here is my thought on "New". I shot this in a dark room using a LED flashlight for highlighting areas I wanted exposed. I have done no post production. Do the light streaks to the right of the globe ruin the photo? Should I touch it up in post?

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Very nice, creative shot. Unfortunately, for me, it says old, history. Not new...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Yeah, great idea. Play with it a bit in the other direction. This one says "Old World" to me, smile.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Just what I needed to hear...My personal intent was the "new world" as Christopher Columbus would have discovered, thus the title of the books, the old style globe with an extra highlighting on the "new world" as he would have seen it. If I failed to convey that, then I failed. Excellent feedback. Thank you! Back to the creative room for some more thought and contemplation.

Oh, by the way, is the light at the top right of the globe distracting?
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    shatch wrote:
    Oh, by the way, is the light at the top right of the globe distracting?

The old style globe says "old" to me too. I think it might work with a very modern style globe. Or maybe a star chart? The new world being space exploration.

I think the light at the top right is distracting. Especially the little string or whatever that it is highlighting. You need to have one main focal point and maybe one secondary focal point (the books). That's all.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    snapapple wrote:

The old style globe says "old" to me too. I think it might work with a very modern style globe. Or maybe a star chart? The new world being space exploration.

I think the light at the top right is distracting. Especially the little string or whatever that it is highlighting. You need to have one main focal point and maybe one secondary focal point (the books). That's all.

I have to agree. I like the composition of the shot...but maybe making it look a little more modern would help.
  • TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    I caught what you were trying to do right away, but perhaps it was because I knew of the "new" theme. I like the idea, but not sure if it really snaps enough to win a photo challenge. As far as the light streak in the corner, I would work to remove it as much as possible. It isn't horribly distracting, but does take away from the overall photo.

Nice work!