Night Skiing, wannabe strobist style

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited March 23, 2015 in Sports
Took some time out of my evening of beer-league racing to get some shots of my teammates and a few others just for grins. Not terrible for just winging it with a single speedlight and an ST-E2.

7D2_5131-X2.jpg

7D2_5129-X2.jpg

7D2_5128-X2.jpg

7D2_5130-X2.jpg

5 - Hey a rare shot of me... timing's off, oh well.
7D2_5142-X2.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 26, 2015
    They look pretty cool. Are you using rear curtain flash?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    Gah, I didn't even think about that. Alas it was set to first curtain. Next time!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2015
    I would try to use a flash to both the left and right vs one sided as these seem to be.. Also if I was shooting something like this I'd be inclined to shoot with a CTB or some other type of warming filter to try and match the ambient light better rather than having the flash be so distinct.

Jim
    edited March 4, 2015
    Yeah, two flashes would probably be better. The lights are those awful orange sodium vapor things, do they make filters for that?
    -Jack

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited March 4, 2015
    Yeah, two flashes would probably be better. The lights are those awful orange sodium vapor things, do they make filters for that?

They make filters to correct and filters to re-produce.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Does rear curtain work in manual mode or just aperture priority?
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
    edited March 19, 2015
    Does rear curtain work in manual mode or just aperture priority?

Both. I believe 1st or 2nd curtain can be selected regardless of exposure mode.
    -Jack

• LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Both. I believe 1st or 2nd curtain can be selected regardless of exposure mode.

And rear curtain would help freeze the action better?
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
    edited March 23, 2015
    And rear curtain would help freeze the action better?

No, it would blur the trailing edge of the skier, instead of the leading edge as seen above, especially in image 2. The flash only fires for a split second, brightly illuminating the subject very briefly. Imagine a long shutter speed of like 1 second. If the flash fires near the end of that 1 second, right before the shutter closes (the 2nd curtain), the flash will create a relatively frozen subject at the end of the exposure. The resulting picture will show the 1-second long trail of the subject, streaming out behind the final image of the subject frozen by the flash.
    -Jack