Options

Moonlit

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited March 22, 2015 in Landscapes
Haven't shot much moonlit scenery and this is only my second try.
First shot is Shark Fin Cove, near Santa Cruz, moonlit, around 5am in the morning.
Second shot is at Pigeon Point Lighthouse, just before sunrise.
Angle of the moon was not ideal for this location. It would probably change the angle later on in the year and be close to the light house, so I have chance to zoom in bit more.

Your criticism is my most valued resource!
1W7A3704-X3.jpg

IMG_0177-Edit-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Taz, these are just jaw dropping beautiful shots. You are da man!...as we say here. bowdown.gif
    Carry on!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    VersePhotoVersePhoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2015
    Wow beautiful shot, could I put a bible verse on full resolution shot of the light house picture and post it as Creative commons on my smug mug site?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2015
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Awesome!

Many thanks!!
    Taz, these are just jaw dropping beautiful shots. You are da man!...as we say here. bowdown.gif
    Carry on!

Thanks Wayne!! You are the man!
    VersePhoto wrote: »
    Wow beautiful shot, could I put a bible verse on full resolution shot of the light house picture and post it as Creative commons on my smug mug site?

Absolutely. You can have any of the images I have posted at any time. That would be a good use! Thanks and Cheers!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Great shots!!

As to the moon......you could always use the Lick technique. Simply move / enlarge the moon as you will.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Sam
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    These are really good. In the first, oddly, I find the star trails a distraction and I'd consider getting rid of them. The wonderful scene below needs no competition. The second is a little too saturated for my taste, but yours is what counts.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Great shots!!

As to the moon......you could always use the Lick technique. Simply move / enlarge the moon as you will.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Sam

Sam, thanks for feedback! Learning from best is my goal!
    In that regard, if you are willing to teach, I am wanting to learn!
    Hope that happens!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    These are really good. In the first, oddly, I find the star trails a distraction and I'd consider getting rid of them. The wonderful scene below needs no competition. The second is a little too saturated for my taste, but yours is what counts.

Thanks Don! Can't say that enough!
    I agree with you on both. I didn't like star trails, and considered taking them out. Two thing prevented me....it was work.....and since this was only my second effort for moonlit shot, I left it close to typical. Getting your input means much and confirms what I also felt that star trails were out of place here.

I did go heavy on saturation, beyond my norm, I guess because I wanted to add more punch. I am glad I got called on that. I pulled some sliders back and here is the updated shot. Hope it is an improvement.

Cheers!

IMG_0177-Edit-X3.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Sam, thanks for feedback! Learning from best is my goal!
    In that regard, if you are willing to teach, I am wanting to learn!
    Hope that happens!
    Cheers!

I doubt I can teach you anything, but should you wish to delude yourself give me a call the next time your off on a photo adventure.

You do know I live in San Jose?

Sam
  • Options
    PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    A couple of great shots, Taz. I actually like the star trails, but I'd probably prefer a tweak to the white balance. I also like the second version of the lighthouse.

We should try to find a time for us bay area photogs to get together.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    I doubt I can teach you anything, but should you wish to delude yourself give me a call the next time your off on a photo adventure.

You do know I live in San Jose?

Sam

I shall bug you now Sam! I have learned a lot already and if I can pick your brain more often and get more pointer to PS, I would get better! I am always off to some place.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    A couple of great shots, Taz. I actually like the star trails, but I'd probably prefer a tweak to the white balance. I also like the second version of the lighthouse.

We should try to find a time for us bay area photogs to get together.

Mike

Music to my ears!!
    I remember you mentioned once you stacked up ND filters to get to 16-fstop. Well, every time I do that, I get all kind of shadows and glares. Your shot was perfect. So that would be fun start! Seriously it is more fun and less scary at night!:D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Beautiful and peaceful!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Both amazing Taz clap.gif
    Lighthouse #2 mo betta thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    I think the revision is an improvement. Saturation sliders lead to the dark side. :)
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    Beautiful and peaceful!

Thanks again! It is that and why I hang out there so much!
    Earache wrote: »
    Both amazing Taz clap.gif
    Lighthouse #2 mo betta thumb.gif

Thanks Eric! I thought you went somewhere! As always, hope you post more!
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I think the revision is an improvement. Saturation sliders lead to the dark side. :)

bowdown.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Lesson I shall remember!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    I like the star lines in the first - curved lines contrast nicely with the ragged lines and patterns. Plus curved lines tend to emit a peaceful emotion.

I like more color/saturation in the second shot.

Question, what was SS in the second shot. I took some moon shots last Fall of the Super Moon and I found that it was moving faster than I thought.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,035 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Missed this thread somehow - had to do a "family" thing yesterday so didn't get to the forums. I love the Lighthouse shot and Eric is right, the second one is better with a little less saturation.

I assume this is the same lighthouse as the night shot you posted in the "Searching light on coast" thread (one of my favorite Taz shots :D).
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    I like the star lines in the first - curved lines contrast nicely with the ragged lines and patterns. Plus curved lines tend to emit a peaceful emotion.

I like more color/saturation in the second shot.

Question, what was SS in the second shot. I took some moon shots last Fall of the Super Moon and I found that it was moving faster than I thought.

Phil

Many thanks Phil! I also like the less saturated shot, just got caught up with trying to make it jump out.

The settings for the second shot were, f-2.8, ISO-400, shutter 1/25.
    I would normally never shoot at f-2.8 and ISO-400 when shooting a landscape, but as you noticed, moon moves, so had to maintain that shutter speed.
    I chose to give up aperture first, because in low light, noise is a concern.
    Put the AF on the moon, then went to manual and recomposed.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Missed this thread somehow - had to do a "family" thing yesterday so didn't get to the forums. I love the Lighthouse shot and Eric is right, the second one is better with a little less saturation.

I assume this is the same lighthouse as the night shot you posted in the "Searching light on coast" thread (one of my favorite Taz shots :D).

Very kind of you Jo! Always can count on your support! This is indeed Pigeon point Lighthouse.
    Not very far from you. This is about 20 minutes drive from Half Moon Bay, which is probably 30-40 minute drive from SF, if that. You should check it out! Cheers!
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Many thanks Phil! I also like the less saturated shot, just got caught up with trying to make it jump out.

The settings for the second shot were, f-2.8, ISO-400, shutter 1/25.
    I would normally never shoot at f-2.8 and ISO-400 when shooting a landscape, but as you noticed, moon moves, so had to maintain that shutter speed.
    I chose to give up aperture first, because in low light, noise is a concern.
    Put the AF on the moon, then went to manual and recomposed.

I wonder if this is an opportunity for exposure blending. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhtqGLglww

I have tried on a simple basis recently. Eager to try it now that Spring has sprung - woohoo!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    I wonder if this is an opportunity for exposure blending. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQhtqGLglww

I have tried on a simple basis recently. Eager to try it now that Spring has sprung - woohoo!

Phil

Thanks for the link Phil. Based on what I know, that is the best way to go. I say that because I had other frames where moon was better, but rest of the stuff, like breaking waves were not right or not exposed right.....but if you can blend you can pick the best of both!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 9, 2015
    Awesome, man. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome, man. bowdown.gif

Thanks bro! Hope we go shooting soon!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2015
    Both really nice images. I can't say one way or the other which of the 2nd image is better, more or less saturation? I think that saturation levels are highly subjective.

One of my favorite photogs is Marc Adamus. Sometimes his work is a bit over the top for me and other times not so much. What it boils down to is a feeling the photog is trying to convey. Sometimes a scene just blows you away and creates such an impact in the minds eye that you wind up pushing the saturation sliders to recreate that "Oh my" feeling.

Great work thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Both really nice images. I can't say one way or the other which of the 2nd image is better, more or less saturation? I think that saturation levels are highly subjective.

One of my favorite photogs is Marc Adamus. Sometimes his work is a bit over the top for me and other times not so much. What it boils down to is a feeling the photog is trying to convey. Sometimes a scene just blows you away and creates such an impact in the minds eye that you wind up pushing the saturation sliders to recreate that "Oh my" feeling.

Great work thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks Phil as always! I think trying to trigger the "oh my" feeling got me in to "oh no" issues!:D
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2015
    These are both pretty awesome shots!

Just my personal preference here but I would adjust the yellow luminosity and saturation in the first. The cliffs seem too yellow for the scene. In the second the moon is too bright- jumps off the screen compared to the light house and makes it feel cloned in.

Both very nicely done though!
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2015
    anwmn1 wrote: »

Just my personal preference here but I would adjust the yellow luminosity and saturation in the first. The cliffs seem too yellow for the scene. In the second the moon is too bright- jumps off the screen compared to the light house and makes it feel cloned in.

Thanks much Aaraon! Valuable info! Will work on it and post!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    I like the revision too. Great work Taz.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2015
    anwmn1 wrote: »

I tried to get rid bright yellow/orange....and also reduced temp by couple of hundred points! Thanks again!

1W7A3704-X3.jpg