.PNG Artifacts showing in gallery

FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited March 17, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I'm seeing some artifacts around the edges of a .PNG file that I uploaded into a Smugmug Gallery. I don't see the same problem when I open the original file using Photoshop on my computer... or when I open the file after downloading it directly from the gallery. I have .PNG's that do not show these artifacts in other galleries.

I cannot figure out whether or not this is a problem on my end or an issue displaying the >PNG on Smugmug. I see it happening on all of my computers (Dell Laptop win 7 64bit... Dell desktop win 7 64bit... M/S Surface Pro 3 win 8.1 64bit).

Any thoughts?

The gallery...
http://jwpictures.smugmug.com/Photography/Artwork-Photography/Gethsemane-Banners/

The artifacts...
i-txJCptJ-X2.jpg

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    Why are you uploading PNGs? Upload JPGs, that's best for web-viewing (and also for printing via SmugMug if you are going to print). PNGs are used for transparency when you're doing website stuff, but for normal photos, JPGs in sRGB colorspace for SmugMug galleries.
  • FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    Just trying to deliver a couple images to a friend who wants PNG's. I think this is the very first first time I ever tried uploading one.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 16, 2015
    I'm seeing some artifacts around the edges of a .PNG file that I uploaded into a Smugmug Gallery.
    I don't see a problem when I look at that page using Chrome.

Smug help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93278-what-types-of-files-can-i-upload-to-smugmug- says:
    Although we support PNG files, they have limited browser compatibility and can't be used for prints through SmugMug. We recommend using them only for building your own themes (non-seller accounts) and custom watermarking (seller accounts).
    --- Denise
  • FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2015
    Thank You for the link Denise... Your's was a helpful response.

I was able to get rid of the artifacts by downloading the file from my Smugmug account, selecting the banner in Photoshop, and running the eraser around the perimeter. I think this means that the PNG files I produced somehow contained some "invisible" artifacts. I'll report back here if I ever figure out exactly what happened.