Options

Flat-Backed Millipede Polydesmus

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited March 19, 2015 in Holy Macro
These, which look dull pinkish to brownish to the naked eye, live on the damp underside of chunks of rotten, but otherwise dry, Silver Birch bark, on the ground in my garden. (They are equally frequent in woodland, etc.).

Typically, when you first look at them, they are immobile, with the thorax arched and the head pointed vertically down, tight against the substrate. The scope for interesting images is thus limited.

With this one, I couldn't even get a clear view of the side of the head so I flipped it over onto its back. It stayed there for a little while and I got some shots of the underside before it turned over and marched off.

The first image is the only one I got of it on the move. This is the image is of particular interest to me as, like the other images, the FOV was 9mm wide, what I would expect with a Venus lens at x2. This shot possibly gives the best indication of the detail my 50mm Photar can capture at this, just outside the lower end of its optimised range of magnification.

The second image gave me quite a surprise. It was not until I started to process it that I realised that the yellowish mini legs by the seventh pair of walking legs are the male genitalia. Had I not seen that, I would not have known that the OOF yellow appendage in the third image is part of that.

Some of the images are from a previous session on another day. (I still need a decent portrait. This is proving to be a major challenge).

EM-1, ca 150mm extension from sensor, Leitz Photar 50mm at f11, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

Harold

1110094.jpg

1110095.jpg

1110096.jpg

1110097.jpg

1110098.jpg

Comments