Options

Under-Bark Harvestman Revisited

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited March 23, 2015 in Holy Macro
When I found one of these previously I had the setup extended for much smaller subjects. Not knowing how long the subject would remain still, I did what I could with that setting. Having looked again under bark chunks on the ground in my garden, I found a group of three Opiliones, apparently of the same species as my earlier session. These also stayed in position. One of them was ideally accessible form a number of angles.

This time I used f16, or thereabouts (no click stops and smaller apertures not numbered).

EM-1, extension, Leitz Photar 50mm, two flash TTL RC, hand-held with support from substrate for front hand.

Additional sharpening of the second image, to show the spines on the legs, gives an unattractive effect on the OOF back ground but I thought it worthwhile for this image.

Harold

1111401.jpg

1111402.jpg

1111403.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Wonderful stuff Harold
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2015
    Wonderful stuff Harold
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

The advantage of bark inhabitants as subjects is that detached chunks of the substrate can be carried to a more comfortable place for the photography. In this case it was a decrepit but usable pub-type bench. I was able to sit in comfort, position my free-standing fill flash to best effect, and then rest my lens-supporting hand on the bench or the bench-supported bark. The bench receiving sunlight at that time of day also helps enormously with locating, framing and focusing. This last issue was not critical for the harvestman but was for springtails (more to come) and mites (in progress).

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Last one is super close up!
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Last one is super close up!

Thanks. The shooting magnification was the same. I just cropped a bit more off that one.

Harold