Options

NASCAR at Martinsville Speedway - March 2015

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
edited April 6, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Last weekend I took a run up to Martinsville, VA for the NASCAR Truck and Sprint Cup Series races.

The truck race was Saturday. It was in the mid-30s and windy all day - perfect race weather... :huh

1 - Green flag!

JM_2015_03_28_NASCAR_Camping_World_Truck_Series_Martinsville_001-XL.jpg

2 - Joey Logano and Matt Crafton racing for the lead.

JM_2015_03_28_NASCAR_Camping_World_Truck_Series_Martinsville_004-XL.jpg

3 - Late in the race, Cole Custer in the 00 pushed his way past Crafton and Logano to take the lead. A couple of laps later, he learned a lesson about payback, short track style.

JM_2015_03_28_NASCAR_Camping_World_Truck_Series_Martinsville_006-XL.jpg

4 - Logano leads the field to the checkered flag.
JM_2015_03_28_NASCAR_Camping_World_Truck_Series_Martinsville_010-XL.jpg

Back on Sunday for the Sprint Cup race...

5 - For the second day in a row, Logano leads the field to the green flag.

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_001-XL.jpg

6 - A quick stop for gas and tires.

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_003-XL.jpg

7 - Team Penske teammates Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_040-XL.jpg

8 - In a battle of the beer cars, Keselowski makes a pass on Kevin Harvick.

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_026-XL.jpg

9 - The day went from bad to worse for Dale Earnhardt, Jr. After mechanical issues dropped him back in the field, he was caught up in a wreck, resulting in a few modifications...

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_025-XL.jpg

10 - Keselowski and Denny Hamlin put on a spirited fight for the win in the closing laps, and Hamlin was able to hang on for the win.

JM_2015_03_29_NSACAR_Sprint_Cup_Series_Martinsville_034-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2015
    Very nice work, John. You did very well in capturing the vibrancy of these races. Way back when I did a lot of this type work, I found the pit areas to be the most productive for interesting opportunities..... that and the wrecks, of course.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2015
    John, You're in my neck of the woods now buddy! I'm not a big NASCAR fan but I've gone with a friend to the Bristol race a few times. These are ESPN quality shots, especially #5.
    REALLY nice work. clap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2015
    Nice and vibrant Moose! I have never shot these....so not speaking from experience....but panning and slight blur captures the sensation of movement.....something to consider.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2015
    Great shots, great colors thumb.gifthumb. Having tried to shoot some racing in the past, I can appreciate the effort that went into these shots.

Like Taz, I would enjoy seeing some panned shots with a bit of motion.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2015
    Very nice work, John. You did very well in capturing the vibrancy of these races. Way back when I did a lot of this type work, I found the pit areas to be the most productive for interesting opportunities..... that and the wrecks, of course.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
    Thanks, Tom, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't have connections to get down to the pits during the races, and given its size, Martinsville doesn't sell pit passes for practice as some tracks do. I'll have to work on that though...
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2015
    John, You're in my neck of the woods now buddy! I'm not a big NASCAR fan but I've gone with a friend to the Bristol race a few times. These are ESPN quality shots, especially #5.
    REALLY nice work. clap.gif
    Thank you, Wayne! I'd like to get to Bristol one of these days.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice and vibrant Moose! I have never shot these....so not speaking from experience....but panning and slight blur captures the sensation of movement.....something to consider.
    Cheers!
    Thanks! I was a bit limited based on where I could get as a spectator - when I go to Pocono, I usually get a pit pass for practice, and you can get some good panning shots:

JM_2014_08_01_Pocono_Cup_22_Logano_001-XL.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2015
    Last one.....iloveyou.gif
    I didn't take space into consideration....understood.....usually spectators don't like people getting in their way and certainly not the large lenses.....