The Global Appeal of Macro

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 15, 2015 in Holy Macro
I found this clutch of gastropod eggs in a small cleft in the underside of a rotten log I was searching for arthropod subjects. The field of view is about 5mm and it is uncropped. This is not really my king of material but its possibilities may be of interest. There is some blue fringing to the right, which I something I have not seen before.

EM--1 (manual mode), extension, reversed Schneider HM 40mm at f11, twin* TTL RC flash (one free-standing), hand-held. * Because of the recessed location of the subject, I'm not sure how much the fill flash contributed.

Harold

1121634.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    I like the subject and exposure as eggs jump out......you may want to try b&w conversion....subject lends itself naturally to it....and fringing would be taken care of. Cheers!
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I like the subject and exposure as eggs jump out......you may want to try b&w conversion....subject lends itself naturally to it....and fringing would be taken care of. Cheers!

Thanks. Much appreciated, as this is not an area where I have done much. Anyway, here is a conversion.

Harold

1121705.jpg
    edited April 14, 2015
    Who can't like those? Fantastic!clap.gif
    edited April 14, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Who can't like those? Fantastic!clap.gif

Thanks.

After that shot some wood debris fell onto them. My efforts to clean it off succeeded in cracking several of the shells. I say "shells" because they were clearly fragile and cracked like chicken egg shells, with jagged edges and a distinctly harder outer edge. No yolks were to be seen. :D

You should be able to find similar eggs under stones, etc., on moist ground. Your are more likely to find cream ones than pure white ones.

Harold
    edited April 14, 2015
    These are almost certainly eggs of the Yellow Garden Slug Limax flavus which is commonly found in our garden.

Harold
    edited April 14, 2015
    I am not knowledgeable enough about bugs to start turning over stones.....when you don't know something, you fear it.....so I am afraid of finding stuff that is laying eggs......
    So nah....color pretty bugs....that may land on a flower here and there....is where concentrate my efforts....:D
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2015
    Cool egg! :)

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2015
    Lovely capture Harold. Interesting re the "shells" I'd always assumed they were soft jelly like structures
    Brian v.
    edited April 15, 2015
    Lovely capture Harold. Interesting re the "shells" I'd always assumed they were soft jelly like structures
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I have never previously had cause to try to clean up such eggs, so, a with most new knowledge, serendipity played a large part.

Harold