My First Velvet Mite of the Season

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited April 18, 2015 in Holy Macro
I was searching for slime mould fruiting bodies and small springtails amongst my stack of Sycamore logs when this individual arrived. I expect these mites to run around in the sun but this one was deep in the pile. Thankfully, it walked around, rather than ran.

I have been swapping my 50mm Leitz Photar and 40mm HM Schneider around quite a lot this last two days but I think it was the latter, at f11.The mite being a huge one, compared with most, f16 would have been better but would have needed a higher ISO and I couldn't afford to risk fiddling and losing my subject. So I have had to make some compromises with DOF.

I have been experimenting with placing my fill flash on a slide bar attached to the bottom of my camera and positioned to aim inwards, from the right, from about halfway along the extension. I am awaiting a longer bar. It may be coincidence but theses images, one in particular, were much more contrasty (bright highlights) than usual. I have increased shadow and decreased highlights in PP but the results are still not satisfactory.

Harold

1122945.jpg

1122946.jpg

1122947.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    So that's what it is called! I remember these from when I was growing up!
    Thanks for capturing it well and sharing it!
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    So that's what it is called! I remember these from when I was growing up!
    Thanks for capturing it well and sharing it!

I used to see these at work at lunchtime, on the stone-block walls of the drive. This one is much bigger than most.

Harold
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    Good ones Harold- another bug I do not see in my garden
    Brian v.
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    Good ones Harold- another bug I do not see in my garden
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I have been stalking arthropods in may garden for several years without seeing one, so there is always hope.

My "first of the season" was in anticipation of more. It is my first such mite in my garden.

Harold