Atlanta in the dark

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Landscapes
I wanted to test out how the digital camera would handle car light streaking. Here is a quick shot. Now all I need to do is to shoot it at dusk on a clear evening and it should look great.

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    Compressing it for the web really broke up the sky. It is much smoother in the original file.
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    Just for kicks here is a crop of the image at 100%, not too bad for a long exposure with poor lighting on a bouncing bridge.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2004
    Patrick, that looks excellent. I really like the framing and the exposure.

Here are mine, probably too bright for you, because my monitor is a little dark.

2124782-M.jpg

2125180-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 25, 2004
    Well, mine looks pretty awful. I'll have to play with it. In the meantime, here's another version.

2125238-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited January 25, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Here are mine, probably too bright for you, because my monitor is a little dark.

2125180-M.jpg
    Notice the lane change? From #5 to #4 to #3? Pretty
    cool!

Oh, and the date setting on your camera is wrong.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 28, 2004
    OK, so I saw how Patch framed his shot. And he told me dusk was a better time to shoot this kind of scene. So being the thieving little b*****d that I am, I went back down this evening and tried again. But it was so freakin' cold (by my standards anyway) that my fingers froze before the best light of the day. Enter Photoshop. I can see my ham handedness. You?

2177505-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited January 28, 2004
    Just want to make it clear that I'm stealing Patch's original idea for framing this shot.
    Sid.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    And [patch] told me dusk was a better time to shoot this kind of scene.
    Why dusk? Reduces glare from the lights?
    Tim
    edited January 28, 2004
    Softer light, avoids the harsh shadows of unfiltered sunlight, really cool background light (can be dark blue or orange or red or purple,) still reveals details of the buildings, puts a nice tint on everything that's hit by the light, is a nice contrast to the brighter lights of the cars.

BTW, I now see I should have left more headroom above the tallest building. Ah well, live and learn.
    Sid.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    Softer light, avoids the harsh shadows of unfiltered sunlight, really cool background light (can be dark blue or orange or red or purple,) still reveals details of the buildings, puts a nice tint on everything that's hit by the light, is a nice contrast to the brighter lights of the cars.
    Is that all? :D
    Tim
    edited January 28, 2004
    Is that all? :D

As the man said, it's like bacon - goes with anything. :D
    Sid.
  • zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    BTW, I now see I should have left more headroom above the tallest building. Ah well, live and learn.
    Waxy, I like your light best - dusk works so much better. But, at least Patch left out the ugly street lamp on the right edge... umph.gif

(Never mind me. Just getting even for the "ugly hand" comment lol3.gif )
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Waxy, I like your light best - dusk works so much better. But, at least Patch left out the ugly street lamp on the right edge... umph.gif

(Never mind me. Just getting even for the "ugly hand" comment lol3.gif )
    Waxy,

I won't be as harsh as Ø-Ø but... If you shoot that again I would try to loose the streetlight. I'm sure you already knew that though!

Here's another thought. I find the lighted sign just right of center to be distracting because it is so blown out. Since your shooting off a tripod (if you hand-held that shot, get to the hospital quick - if you're that steady, you're dead) maybe try one exposure much, much shorter to get the sign properly exposed. Then shoot you're main exposure and go back and use photoshop to combine the two images.

-Eric
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    ....But it was so freakin' cold (by my standards anyway) that my fingers froze before the best light of the day.
    Aw, poor waxy. What was it, maybe 30 degrees? This was our lovely thermometer reading the other day:

2004-01-26.jpg

and thats partially in the sun.

I really dig the shot though!
    and way to document the thievery mwink.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 29, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Waxy,

I won't be as harsh as Ø-Ø but... If you shoot that again I would try to loose the streetlight. I'm sure you already knew that though!

Here's another thought. I find the lighted sign just right of center to be distracting because it is so blown out. Since your shooting off a tripod (if you hand-held that shot, get to the hospital quick - if you're that steady, you're dead) maybe try one exposure much, much shorter to get the sign properly exposed. Then shoot you're main exposure and go back and use photoshop to combine the two images.

-Eric

Good idea, Cletus, I was wondering if that light was an issue. I should redo the shot. And I noticed that lamp to the right but too late to change. :cry

Yeah, I'm a woos in the cold.
    Sid.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    And I noticed that lamp to the right but too late to change.
    Here's an excellent opportunity for you to get intimately familiar with your tool (clone tool, that is). Cloning out the lamp will over the sky will be pretty easy, but the building will be a challenge (or it would be for me). Try it and report back. :)
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 11, 2004
    Another night shot in Atlanta. Only 41 degrees this time, I got a sunburn it was so hot. After shooting this place for a couple of hours I went inside and had a couple of eggs sunyy side up, side of bacon and toast, and a nice warm cup or three of decaf with cream and sugar. Yum.

Because my monitor is dark, this probably looks slightly bright to everyone else.

2357050-L.jpg
    Sid.
    edited February 12, 2004
    It was shot after dark, but indoors. And not at that diner, either. umph.gif

2366318-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It was shot after dark, but indoors. And not at that diner, either. umph.gif

2366318-M.jpg
    Eat me! EAT ME!

nice shot - color, detail is cool.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

2124782-M.jpg

2125180-M.jpg
    Sid, I really like what you did... it must have been difficult too, your monitor being so dark and all....
    edited February 12, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks Lynn, you're very kind. One of these days I'll take a course.
    Sid.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2004
    My 1st time exposure. We have 2 paddlewheelers that go past a few times a night.

2379852-L.jpg
    edited February 13, 2004
    Funny thing is that i could never get the camera to focus at night...always used prog thus f1.8. But here the background lights have turned out a lot better on f8. Is this how its ment to be ? ie smaller aperture to get clearer lights at night ?
    edited February 13, 2004
    No expert, but... the smaller lens opening at f8 gives a greater depth of field... so more stuff will be in focus. And the opposite is true for f1.8... shallow depth of field, ideally only the thing you focus on, is actually in focus.
    Sid.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    No expert, but... the smaller lens opening at f8 gives a greater depth of field... so more stuff will be in focus. And the opposite is true for f1.8... shallow depth of field, ideally only the thing you focus on, is actually in focus.
    Smaller aperatures will also help prevent flare from point sources of light - eg artificial lights from vehicles, boats etc.

Also lenses - especially less than perfect lenses ( which includes most of the lenses most of us will ever own ) - are at their sharpest about 2 or 3 f-stops closed from their maximum aperature. And since you are making a time exposure - smaller aperatures are no problem unless you are doing a really long exposure - minutes say - and you get into sensor noise issues.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Smaller aperatures will also help prevent flare from point sources of light - eg artificial lights from vehicles, boats etc.

Also lenses - especially less than perfect lenses ( which includes most of the lenses most of us will ever own ) - are at their sharpest about 2 or 3 f-stops closed from their maximum aperature. And since you are making a time exposure - smaller aperatures are no problem unless you are doing a really long exposure - minutes say - and you get into sensor noise issues.
    Thanks guys...im getting there.

heres one of my pinhole shots.... about f400 & 4 mins exposure. Aperture is 0.3mm (0.011811 of an inch) Odd thing is that i understand this but cant get my digital right.

221234-M-1.jpg
    edited February 13, 2004
    I remember your pinhole work. I thought, and still think, it's great. And I really like that shot. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    edited February 15, 2004
    OK, trying something new for me. I'm aware that the colors and the brightness levels may look off to the few of you who have good monitors. Knowing that, this is a rough pass. I was trying to make a mood.

2405248-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited February 15, 2004
    Waxola ...does your camera have histogram ? Ive been on it all day & the mist is lifting for me anyway.

I see a good shot BTW thumb.gif
    edited February 15, 2004
    Yeah, it does. I've just started trying to figure out how to use it. I'm thinking that when I'm shooting at night, at least, I'll push the bump in the histogram both to the right and to the left in different shots. That way I have a choice when I get home, and can play in Photoshop. I'm tired of coming back with underexposed shots because I trusted the camera's little monitor, which shows everything to be brighter than it really is.
    Sid.