Welcome home, longed for family!

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited January 6, 2006 in People
Hello friends!

Today my family (spouse + two sons) came home and I picked them up at Stockholm/Arlanda airport. We spent Christmas at my parents in law (they live 500 km from us). I drove home thursday last week, because I was working the whole weekend, so they stayed there to celebrate New Year with my spouses family.
I brough my mom along to pick'em up, and we drove up and stoped just where the runways starts/ends to wave them welcome home! *Haha* Off course, only the pilots saw us, but still! We have picture proof that we where there! ;o)
If you look at the image, and the wind trail behind the plane, it's easy to imagine the dialog of the pilots:

-Hey Buck! Look! Look! There's someone down there wavin'...
---Swaying-Swaying---
-Whoa! Whoa! Jeeesus Vern! Look where you are flyin'.... oooooh!

So, here's my mom waving:

50901954-O.jpg

Salute:

50901946-O.jpg

It was rather cold and windy today, about -15C. Perhaps that's not soooo cold, but nowadays we seldomly have thouse kind of low temperatures in Stockholm, so we where caught off guard. :rofl

50901941-O.jpg

We manage to drive down to the airport to welcome them at the gate, but just barely! *Piuh!* I wanted to capture the the look of my elder son Liams face as he spotted me. (I was hoping for a happy one!) There was no time to fiddle around, this was kind of a shoot-from-the-hip capture - through two thick windows. Technically it's not good, but I got the split second moment of "Look!!! Theeeeere's Daddy!!!!!" I love this pic! :o)

50901935-O.jpg

Well, it was a very happy and longed for reunion! One week without my kids... How I love them! :):

Regards / Matty

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    You never disappoint! Lovely set.
  • MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Fabulous.
  • KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    excellent
    Hi Matty,

Great photos as always - the first one with the plane landing is really unique and your mom adds a nice touch to it too. Like you said, the picture of Liam may not be technically perfect, but the "decisive moment" that you've captured trumps everything and makes it a real winner. Great photosclap.gif

Cheers & Happy New Year,
    Kevin K.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Gosh, you got Liam in focus, at the right moment. It is a fabulous photo!

I love the ones of your mom, too. I am very partial to yellow!

It was 60 and sunny, here, today, in South Carolina, USA. Yesterday, it was colder with a windchill factor of "all birds hiding". And rain.

The white stuff looks squeaky!!!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Technically it's not good,

I disagree! It's one of those shots that can't be planned and executed like your others - but it has a "perfection" all it's own. Really a special shot!

And all 4 shots are great at telling your story with images. And shot #1 with mom waving, cool! Might make a pretty good stock photo for an agency??
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    The waving at the plane shot is incredible! Great shot!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mattias!
    Spasibo for your photos!
    Esp. I like the first and last one - very impressive!
    Yuri
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Matty, it's probably getting boring, but boy, are you gifted, or what? Amazing pictures, and great to see that happy face on Liam!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Matty these are so good, just love all of them. thumb.gif

AJ
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 4, 2006
    Matty,

That first shot totally kicks ass. Very well captured.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • TopRowTopRow Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Neat pics! As others have said previously, the last one of your son is really precious--everything else being OOF brings your eye straight to his face!
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank you Eric! :): thumb.gif
    4labs wrote:
    You never disappoint! Lovely set.
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank you, MattGoins! :):
    MattGoins wrote:
    Fabulous.
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanx Kevin!
    I was very impressed by my mom! She's the kind of person who's scared of everything! Haha! I never really thought that she would have the guts to stand right under the landing planes, but she did. When the first plane roared over her head, she recoiled a little, but then I noticed this little glare of exhitement in her eyes. It was a great moment! :):

At the first glance at the pic of Liam (and the rest of my family) I was strokin' the delete button, but luckely, I never pushed it. One shouldn't delete an image before it's viewed on screen.

Happy New Year / Matty

KevinKal wrote:
    Hi Matty,

Great photos as always - the first one with the plane landing is really unique and your mom adds a nice touch to it too. Like you said, the picture of Liam may not be technically perfect, but the "decisive moment" that you've captured trumps everything and makes it a real winner. Great photosclap.gif

Cheers & Happy New Year,
    Kevin K.
    edited January 6, 2006
    :DThank you Ginger!

I was so close to delete it, when looking at it in the display. Luckely, I didn't! :):

Yes, I'm very partial to yellow too! Actually it's my favorite color! I like it (her yellow jacket) in combination with the blue/pink/white tones in this pic.

60!!! I guess that's put in farenheit huh? That would be something like +15C
    Othterwise it sounds a bit extreme! :D

Regards / Matty
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gosh, you got Liam in focus, at the right moment. It is a fabulous photo!

I love the ones of your mom, too. I am very partial to yellow!

It was 60 and sunny, here, today, in South Carolina, USA. Yesterday, it was colder with a windchill factor of "all birds hiding". And rain.

The white stuff looks squeaky!!!

ginger
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanx John!

Yes, I guess you are right. My goal was to capture his face when spotting me, and I didn't care about anything els - and that's what I got. :): You gotta have a little luck time to time! mwink.gif

I would be very proud if someone would like to have any of my pictures as a stock photo. That'll be the day! :): *dreaming*

Thanx / Matty

PS: I noticed your Arbus-quote on your homepage. I had an image published in a newspaper here in Stockholms a few weeks ago. I won a book about Diane Arbus (and two other photograpers, Lisette Model and Christer Strömholm) plus two free tickets to a big exhibition with photos from these photograpers. :): It'll be interesting!

I disagree! It's one of those shots that can't be planned and executed like your others - but it has a "perfection" all it's own. Really a special shot!

And all 4 shots are great at telling your story with images. And shot #1 with mom waving, cool! Might make a pretty good stock photo for an agency??
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank you, Jim! thumb.gif
    JimM wrote:
    The waving at the plane shot is incredible! Great shot!
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank you, Yuri! :):
    Mattias!
    Spasibo for your photos!
    Esp. I like the first and last one - very impressive!
    Yuri
    edited January 6, 2006
    Haha! Well, thank you! No, it's not boring! Infact, if someone uses the word gifted in a coversation about me, then I'm extremely flattered (and I think, no, I'm not but go ahead and think so!) *Hahahaha* Thank you!!! thumb.gif

Matty
    marlof wrote:
    Matty, it's probably getting boring, but boy, are you gifted, or what? Amazing pictures, and great to see that happy face on Liam!
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thank you, AJ! It was darned cold, but we had a great moment wavin' at plains and the reunion with my family was eyewetening! :cry (happily of course)

Matty
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Matty these are so good, just love all of them. thumb.gif

AJ
    edited January 6, 2006
    Haha! Thanx David! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

devbobo wrote:
    Matty,

That first shot totally kicks ass. Very well captured.

David
    edited January 6, 2006
    Thanx Roger!
    Yes, I guess I had a bit of luck! Sure, my intention was to capture my sons face, and everything els wasn't important. But I'm not quite sure how I did that! *Haha*

Matty
    TopRow wrote:
    Neat pics! As others have said previously, the last one of your son is really precious--everything else being OOF brings your eye straight to his face!