In Search for a New Walkaround Bag

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 18, 2015 in Accessories
Hey all!

Been doing more traveling than ever. One thing I've come to realize is that carrying a huge backpack with camera gear is not always practical or even needed. I've learned that sometimes having too much gear and options actually gets in the way of shooting good travel photos. And so.... I need a smaller, more practical bag for day trips or when walking around in foreign cities.

So here are my requirements:
  • Must fit one pro body with 70-200mm attached but not too big
  • Can fit an additional lens wide angle pro lens
  • Doesn't scream "PRO PHOTO GEAR INSIDE!"
  • A shooters bag... Easy to grab, shoot and put back without putting bag down
  • Padded and rain resistant to keep gear safe

***NOT a requirement but if I can look cool while carrying it, that's a plus so I probably won't go with a fanny bag unless it's amazing. LOL

I've found a few messenger style bags that look interesting but want to see if you guys can up with something I haven't seen.

TIA!

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    I'm sure you've heard of and probably looked at them, but I LOVE my Think Tank Retrospective. I have the 10, which will fit a 70-200, but not attached. The 20 is the model tall enough for that. They look great, aren't glaringly obvious camera bags, can fit tons of stuff, are very well made, and include a rain cover. The hook and loop fasteners are loud, but they have a nifty silencer patch. Loud is good if you want warning that someone is behind you trying to open your bag. I usually keep the silencer about halfway covered, so the flap stays shut but isn't annoyingly loud. Can't recommend the bag enough.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Good to hear Cab. The Retrospective is one of the ones I'm looking at. Good to hear from an actual user.

Also looking at ONA Prince Street Messenger bag. It's not cheap but I'm willing to pay for quality. Looks like a bag that will outlast me.

Another in the running is the TimBuktu Snoop. I like the strap for the tripod. Although I probably would lug a tripod around when doing the type of shooting I will use the bag for, it's nice to know it's there.

Love to hear from others. I have 45 days till my next trip. Going to Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Perfect trip for whatever bag I get.

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2015
    Thought I'd update my thread with what I ended up with in case others are in the same boat. I spent a couple of hours at Samy's camera looking at their wide selections of bags. I ended up trying two bags:
    • Tenba DNA 15 Messenger
    • ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35 Classic

Tenba DNA 15

1007033.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1007033-REG/tenba_638_381_dna_15_graphite_messenger.html

The Tenba was a very nice looking bag and seemed to be extremely well made. It runs for $159.95, not cheap but also not bad when it comes to camera specific bags. The size fit my D800 with 70-200 f/2.8 attached, which was a requirement. It could hold a hell of a lot more which was what killed the bag for me. It was just too wide. Had a lot of extra space that I didn't need for the specific application I want the bag for... to travel light.

ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35

1087436.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087436-REG/think_tank_photo_814_urban_disguise_35_classic.html

The ThinkTank feels solid all around. It is made of thick material with leather accents. It also holds my D800 with 70-200 f/2.8 attached, along with one other pro lens and either a smaller lens or a flashgun. Has extra pockets for things like memory and business cards, charger and few other small odds and ends. And it's much more narrow than the Tenba was which works great for walking around in crowded areas which is what I want it for. What I loved is that although the bad exudes quality when you touch it, from a far, it's very bland. Much less flashy than the Tenba. I don't necessarily try to hide that I have gear but I also don't want to advertise it when I'm travelling.

Added plus for the ThinkTank... it converts to a backpack with optional shoulder straps. Didn't know until I looked it up but when you buy the bag this month (May), you get the shoulder straps for free. Cool beans!

- Alex

My Smug Site
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2015
    I've been searching for a smaller bag as well and was wondering if you still like the bag.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX