Options

Intuos3 compatibility with IBM/Lenovo Laptops

GordonGordon Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited September 29, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have a new Wacom Intuos3 Tablet connected to a IBM T43 Thinkpad. If the Wacom mouse is sitting on the Tablet at power on, the Laptop freezes very early on in the boot cycle. Moving the mouse off the tablet allows the Laptop to continue booting.

I contacted Wacom Technical support - they had me change Bios settings, re-install drivers, dissable power-up programs with MSCONFIG and try the tablet with different IBM hardware. Nothing fixed it - they still suspect an IBM Bios issue but are prepared to have me return the Wacom for debug (at my shipping cost!! :huh )

I can live with moving the mouse off the table but was curious if anyone else had experienced this problem..

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Gordon wrote:
    Has anyone experienced this problem?

I have a new Wacom Intuos3 Tablet connected to a IBM T43 Thinkpad. If the Wacom mouse is sitting on the Tablet at power on, the Laptop freezes very early on in the boot cycle. Moving the mouse off the tablet allows the Laptop to continue booting.

I contacted Wacom Technical support - they had me change Bios settings, re-install drivers, dissable power-up programs with MSCONFIG and try the tablet with different IBM hardware. Nothing fixed it - they still suspect an IBM Bios issue but are prepared to have me return the Wacom for debug (at my shipping cost!! eek7.gif )

I can live with moving the mouse off the table but was curious if anyone else had experienced this problem..

It's not my fault - everything at IBM was just fine when I was working there from 1984 until 1993 lol3.gif

Betcha David_S85 can sort this out...
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's not my fault - everything at IBM was just fine when I was working there from 1984 until 1993 lol3.gif

... and I thought 1993 was the year IBM made one of the largest losses in corporate history - you have anything to do with that? ne_nau.gif ... and what about Loyalty, now a Mac user I hear... headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    Gordon wrote:
    ... and I thought 1993 was the year IBM made one of the largest losses in corporate history - you have anything to do with that? ne_nau.gif ... and what about Loyalty, now a Mac user I hear... headscratch.gif

I left in January 1993 - so they never should have let me leave lol3.gif yep - 100% Mac deal.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 3, 2006
    Gordon,

I'll bet somebody will read your question and have an idea on how to figure this out soon enough. Many people at DGrin are avid tablet fans and might have run into something similar before.
    Andy wrote:

Sorry Andy and Gordon, betcha David_S85 has no clue on this one. I have a better chance of catching a UFO in my own back yard than knowing about IBM BIOS issues.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    G I have a better chance of catching a UFO in my own back yard than knowing about IBM BIOS issues.

headscratch.gif already been done, yes?
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    I have an older Wacom Graphire tablet that I use with my T42 and never had any problems. Can you check the firmware on the tablet and see if it's current?

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    Firmware check
    Thanks for the tip - I've got the latest Firmware and Bios.

The problem is now better understood - the cause of the hang is having the mouse on the Intuos3 tablet at power on. Simply moving the mouse off the tablet lets the Power up sequence complete.

Wacom think it may be a Tablet defect and are willing to let me pay for the shipping back to them for repair. headscratch.gif I've yet to take them up on the offer - instead sticking with moving the mouse off the tablet.

Perhaps it's a Intuos3 feature...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited January 17, 2006
    Gordon, looks like you're getting this issue narrowed down. clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    howard1001howard1001 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2006
    Intos 3 issues
    I Have been having issuse with the Intos 3 too. I then attached the pad to a powered USB hub. The computer still locked up, on boot. In derparation I went to speak with the local "Geek Squarron" the opinion that cam out of this was, "Well it is plug & play, just disconnect the pad during boot-up". DUH! That really isn't a solution.
    I started reading your blog today, I am glad I found it.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    howard1001howard1001 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    I am going to try removing the mouse and see if that is helpful.
    I also noticed that if the notebook is palced on the Intos pad the pointer gets the shakes. This would a rather strong RF field coming from the pad.
    Thanks for the tip. Howard
    ne_nau.gif
    Gordon wrote:
    Thanks for the tip - I've got the latest Firmware and Bios.

The problem is now better understood - the cause of the hang is having the mouse on the Intuos3 tablet at power on. Simply moving the mouse off the tablet lets the Power up sequence complete.

Wacom think it may be a Tablet defect and are willing to let me pay for the shipping back to them for repair. headscratch.gif I've yet to take them up on the offer - instead sticking with moving the mouse off the tablet.

Perhaps it's a Intuos3 feature...
  • Options
    I'm used to leaving the mouse off the pad at power up. Besides this minor inconvience it works great...