to ps or not to ps-question

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited January 4, 2006 in People
I've looked but could find nothing written (not that it's not written, I just did not find it-

If someone posts a photo, are we at liberty to download it and work on it 1) regardless of whatever is said (unless there is a specific no) or 2) if the poster asks for comments or 3) do we ask permission from the poster-

sorry for asking, but I could not find anything on this--
if there is, please direct me to it--

thanks much
george

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    I knew this was coming, in fact I almost asked andy if there was a post about it that should be stickied. Maybe we need a copy of the FM post here.

James.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    I've had legal action threatened on me (here, infact) when I edited a photo to show that it was clearly a fake. I often edit to show how it could be improved, and most of the time, people are happy to see what others think. Some people (like bing, for example) explicity ask for examples of what could be done, which leaves it clear for people.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 3, 2006
    Owen

thanks for your response-
    I guess my best bet is to ask if it's not requested-

then again, I would think if someone wanted that help, they would ask or say beforehand-

thanks
    george
    edited January 3, 2006
    ps James

nice post but it sure doesn't put money in the bank--
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 4, 2006
    hope this doesn't open a can of worms but I think this addresses your question:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11545
    edited January 4, 2006
    Angelo--

thanks much for responding--

I like your points that you give--

I think I'll leave any pics alone unless the poster initially says go for it or I get permission from the poster--

I would think dg would have some kind of policy posted (unless I missed it) or they don't want to because it might end up being restrictive and they're depending on our common sense (that's scary--at least if you're counting on me)--

anyway, thanks for answering; it helps--
    george
    edited January 4, 2006
    George, the point of my post was a gentle hint that maybe we need a posted official policy on it like FM has.

James.
    edited January 4, 2006
    James-

sorry--

I can be a sarcastic butthole--
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    I usually post a suggestion for changes with a "hope you don't mind" attached. If they mind, I edit the post and remove it but people rarely take offense. We are a pretty friendly bunch here, so most people know the spirit in which the re-post was intended. One of the best things about this forum is it's G-rated and supportive attitude. Not pointing fingers, but most other forums are just flame wars and and a waste of time IMO.

Of course, "people rarely take offense" is not the same as "never", so YMMV!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    :lurk

ear.gif
    edited January 4, 2006
    thank you dj--

but sometimes I sense that "tell me what you think" is a euphemism for "tell me what you think as long as you don't suggest any changes to my photo and all you say is 'great shot!'"--
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    FWIW, I'm never offended by edits of my shots and I often edit other's shots. Edits of my own shots are there for me to take or leave as I see fit, after all. Sometimes I like the edits a whole lot and that more than covers for the few times when I don't like them. It's generally a compliment if someone takes the time to work on one of mine. It says it's worth something. When I take the time to work on someone else's shot, I try to be constructive and to show what I was after and how I did what I did. Generally, it seems that people like what I do and when they don't, oh well, no big deal; they just blow me off.

I'd be sad if this open attitude about edits here changed.
    If not now, when?
    edited January 4, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I usually post a suggestion for changes with a "hope you don't mind" attached. If they mind, I edit the post and remove it but people rarely take offense. We are a pretty friendly bunch here, so most people know the spirit in which the re-post was intended. One of the best things about this forum is it's G-rated and supportive attitude. Not pointing fingers, but most other forums are just flame wars and and a waste of time IMO.

Of course, "people rarely take offense" is not the same as "never", so YMMV!

15524779-Ti.gif

Excellent points, DJ
    edited January 4, 2006
    rutt-

makes sense to me--

maybe instead of 'it's ok to edit' they have 'please don't edit'--

I dunno, maybe no one on dg minds their pics being edited; I know I would be ok with someone working on mine; as you said, I guess in a way I would be honored--

I'm not trying to make a big deal about this; I just don't want to step on anyone's toes any more than I do already (and if I hang around long enough, you'll see it happen, if you haven't already)--
    edited January 4, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I knew this was coming, in fact I almost asked andy if there was a post about it that should be stickied. Maybe we need a copy of the FM post here.

James.

Good point, James! I amended the Dgrin Rules. Hopefully, this will be enough deal.gif
    edited January 4, 2006
    Andy--

re rules--

pretty good--

BTW, it's relinquished--
    edited January 4, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:

BTW, it's relinquished--

Fixed. Thanks.
    edited January 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Good point, James! I amended the Dgrin Rules. Hopefully, this will be enough deal.gif

I think that is better than the other site, you gave it a more friendly setting. FWIW, I think that those who would be happy with edits should make it very clear on each post. Maybe we can do some thing like Use CCE (C&C + Edits) instead of just CC.

James.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Volunteer to take it down if they don't want it up
    gefillmore wrote:
    I've looked but could find nothing written (not that it's not written, I just did not find it-

If someone posts a photo, are we at liberty to download it and work on it 1) regardless of whatever is said (unless there is a specific no) or 2) if the poster asks for comments or 3) do we ask permission from the poster-

sorry for asking, but I could not find anything on this--
    if there is, please direct me to it--

thanks much
    george

If the desire for edits is not mentioned in the original post one way or the other and I decide to show an edit, I usually just say in my message that I'd be happen to take my image down if the original poster doesn't want it up. I've never had anyone tell me to take it down and I've done hundreds of these (mostly over in dprevew, but a fair number here too).

I also post my images only in private galleries so there's no easy way to get to them other than via the posting I put it in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited January 4, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I think that is better than the other site, you gave it a more friendly setting. FWIW, I think that those who would be happy with edits should make it very clear on each post. Maybe we can do some thing like Use CCE (C&C + Edits) instead of just CC.

James.

Good idea - and if you do it, others might deal.gif