Playing with smoke

zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited January 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
Finally got to mess around with this again. A little more PS on these.

50810172-L.jpg
50810133-L.jpg
50810138-L.jpg

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    I like the folds in the last two. I've tried smoke before and never got those foldsne_nau.gif

By the way I'm in Ukiah. Hope you made it through that storm ok.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I like the folds in the last two. I've tried smoke before and never got those foldsne_nau.gif

By the way I'm in Ukiah. Hope you made it through that storm ok.

Eric

I used little inscence (sp) "cones", then just blew on them a little for different effects.

We did make it ok...thanks. Looks like Gurneville and Napa got it worse than us. Hope you faired ok as well.
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    How did you capture the smoke? I know you lit some incence and blew the smoke, but did you do it against a black background? Did you use any flashes?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    How did you capture the smoke? I know you lit some incence and blew the smoke, but did you do it against a black background? Did you use any flashes?

Yes, black background and the flash with extension cable lighting the back of the smoke but not lighting the background.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Awesome! Very creative and interesting shots. Thanks for telling us how you did it.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Number 2 Does It For Me
    zed wrote:
    Finally got to mess around with this again. A little more PS on these.

I really like the second and third shots the most, but that second shot is a real beauty thumb.gif it's amazing what a little messing around can do in editing.
    Great Work :D ........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 7, 2006
    As the resident fluid dynamics geek, though I know nothing about turbulence - strictly a low Reynolds number guy, I highly approve. nod.gifthumb.gif

I need a flash for my new setup so I can start playing games like this again.

If you (anyone) like this kind of stuff, I highly recommend the Gallery of Fluid Motion (newer book, Leal is one of the heads of my nerd community) or the classic Album of Fluid Motion by Van Dyke. These are both filled with images that will make fluid and photo geeks alike stare in awe. The classic has some real pioneering work in it.

albumfluidgr.jpg
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]