Picture A Day

LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
edited February 24, 2006 in Holy Macro
I've seen so many people do it, and always wanted to try it, so I figure... why not :)

here's my first... I know 2 days too late, but i'm not about to wait another year because I missed 2 days... sheesh

50969894-L.jpg

Here is the gallery where they will be - http://wanderingthroughlife.smugmug.com/gallery/1096107

Enjoy :)

Steven
Wandering Through Life Photography
MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Cool! Can't wait to see the results...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Really neat! Like itclap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 4, 2006
    Way to go Steven.. now don't get lazy! Any photo is better than missing a day. I just started the first month for year three nod.gif

How many other dgrinners are doing this? We should setup a small smugmug community. I only know of Sebastian (rainforet1155) who has a project going like me. He already setup a community: DailyPhotos

Steven, you should join.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Stacey LStacey L Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    I'm doing this, too! I missed yesterday but I'm making up for it by taking two today! That's not cheating is it????:):
    quote=DoctorIt]Way to go Steven.. now don't get lazy! Any photo is better than missing a day. I just started the first month for year three nod.gif

How many other dgrinners are doing this? We should setup a small smugmug community. I only know of Sebastian (rainforet1155) who has a project going like me. He already setup a community: DailyPhotos

Steven, you should join.[/quote]
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
    edited January 4, 2006
    Stacey L wrote:
    I'm doing this, too! I missed yesterday but I'm making up for it by taking two today! That's not cheating is it????:):
    Sure it is. Confess to your misses, Not everyone can be an A student like my friend Chris who hasn't missed a day in over 3 years now. He's my idol. bowdown.gif
    Erik

edited January 4, 2006
    I have an excuse, I was sick yesterday! But from today on I'm not missing one single day...thumb.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure it is. Confess to your misses, Not everyone can be an A student like my friend Chris who hasn't missed a day in over 3 years now. He's my idol. bowdown.gif
    Stacey

"Be strong, courageous and get to work. Don't be frightened by the size of the task, because the Lord my God is with you; He will not forsake you. He will see to it that everything is finished correctly." 1 Chronicles 28:20
    edited January 4, 2006
    Stacey L wrote:
    I have an excuse, I was sick yesterday! But from today on I'm not missing one single day...thumb.gif
    Sorry, being sick isn't a good enough excuse.

http://doctorit.smugmug.com/gallery/860614/3/39972704/Medium

:hide
    Erik

edited January 4, 2006
    Wow, you were sick! Now that I know how high the stakes really are...I won't be slacking off again.thumb.gif

DoctorIt wrote:
    Sorry, being sick isn't a good enough excuse.

http://doctorit.smugmug.com/gallery/860614/3/39972704/Medium

:hide
    Stacey

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif

sign me up Erikthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited January 4, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

sign me up Erikthumb.gif
    Hey smiley-boy, sign yourself up. Just make some dailyphoto/photo-a-day/whatever galleries and add them to the DailyPhoto community.
    Erik

• JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    I've kind of started one. At least I have something for every day since Jan 1. Not sure I'm proud enough to join a group, though... they're pretty crappy. rolleyes1.gif
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Signed on to the community.

My first shot. . .
    51136743-S.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    how do you add them to the daily photo community?

I am in a slump, so I think it is a fantastic idea! You can see lots of photos of my keyboard, tV, and newspapers.......

(Uh, no snow here, none and won't be, no raptors, pretty cold dismal weather coming up.............what do you all want to see shots of. Actually, I would be proud of anything I saw, like Light's shot, and the dog and whatever, but I am not taking them, like not taking zip right now! Anything?)

But the details can kill me, sure I can make the gallery, but honestly, what addy do I go to to add them to the daily photo community.

I just went to where you all have yours, and they are great and all, but I didn't see any place to add one????

ginger (Ok, I guess my new year's resolution can be to take a photo a day and to ask one stupid, but the answer is unknown, embarrassing, question a day):D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 5, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

blah blah blah

Ginger, surely you are aware there are smugmug communities? Everytime you make a new gallery, and you customize it, down at the bottom there is the drop down menu for "community", in there you can select a community and your galleries will be added there. It doesn't move you galleries anywhere, relax, just indicates they are associated with a community of other like minded galleries of other users. All this does is at the top where it usually says:

Ginger > photography > gallery x

it will then say

DailyPhotos > Ginger > photography > gallery x

to denote that your specific gallery belongs to a subset of another larger collection. You can then click on the "DailyPhotos" and it will bring you to the entire collection of such galleries.

It's not another forum or anything, just a smugmug feature thats been around for quite a while.

Clear?
    Erik

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Erik,

thanks for managing this thread so far! Have been busy after my return from my parents home where I've been the last without posting any of my dailies.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Ginger,
    I invited you to the DailyPhoto community. If you accept the invite you'll find it as an option at the bottom of every gallery-settings-page. Just follow the instructions of the Doctor if you're not sure.
    If you encounter any more problems - just ask! mwink.gif

Happy New Year to all dGrinners,
    Sebastian

PS: A heartly welcome to all new members of the DailyPhotos community! wave.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 5, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

sign me up Erikthumb.gif
    As Erik said - do it yourself by going to the community page and clicking on the join button! Don't forget adding your gallery to it. mwink.gif
    If you've got trouble joining drop me a note here.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 5, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    I've kind of started one. At least I have something for every day since Jan 1. Not sure I'm proud enough to join a group, though... they're pretty crappy. rolleyes1.gif

Join anyway. It's not the "whipping post". No critiques (I don't think so, anyway).

Just a goal of a picture a day - good or bad.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

edited January 5, 2006
    Join anyway. It's not the "whipping post". No critiques (I don't think so, anyway).

Exactly, this is a project for you, not anyone else.

As a note, might I ask for a suggestion: Sebastian and I keep a category in our smugmug that is called "daily photo" (or something of the like). Each month, we put in a new gallery and the photos are either named or captioned by the date. There are already a couple DailyPhoto community members who don't really do this. When I go to see what they've done that day, I have an impossible time trying to figure out where their daily photo might be.

Just a thought.
    Erik

edited January 5, 2006

Well said John! It's neither about quality nor quantity - just the one you like best (or whatever) from your every day life. 1drink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    This isn't something I started so I could show off my work, or to bring attention to myself. It's something I started so that I can look back, at the end of the year, and see how I've progressed as a photographer.... not just in skill, but in creativity as well.

Some days are harder than others... I've only done 2 days so far and already I am struggling. Last night's picture was taken like 5 minutes before going to bed... haha

I would recommend this for anyone and everyone... kind of forces you to be creative...

oh yeah... don't tell my wife about yesterday's picture... hehe

http://wanderingthroughlife.smugmug.com/gallery/1096107

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
    edited January 5, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Last night's picture was taken like 5 minutes before going to bed...
    If I had a nickel for every last minute late night photo over the last couple years... lol3.gif
    Erik

edited February 23, 2006
    - bump -

A few new people have joined the dailyphotos community.

Start your own "photo a day" gallery and attach it to the community. It's fun and it keeps the creative juices going . . .

Rutt has some great new ski shots.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    Neat shot i love it weldone thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery