Options

Nikon D7200 + Tamron 150-600 and 18-105 Kit lens

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited May 20, 2015 in Wildlife
The shots below used both of these lens' at their maximum reach. The subject is the Green Woodpecker.
These were taken in my garden and are all hand held.

The Green Woodpecker is a very shy and nervous bird that digs for insects and grubs in grassy woodland clearings. The normal view of these birds is the yellow rump as it flies away!

079_DxO-L.jpg
ISO 2000, f 5.6, 1/6400, fl 105 mm. This was the final shot I was able to take in this session. The following shots were taken earlier. (Nikkor 18-105)

039_DxO-L.jpg
ISO 1000, f8, 1/250, fl 600 mm. (Tamron 150-600)

076_DxO-XL.jpg
ISO 2000, f5.6, 1/500, fl 105 mm (Nikkor 18-105)

042_DxO-XL.jpg
ISO 1000, f8, 1/320, fl 600 mm (Tamron 150-600)

More shots of this bird species can be seen in my Green Woodpecker gallery

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    Try posting these in the "wildlife" section.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 18, 2015
    Yep, Wildlife it is.

Carry on.

Nice job with the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD (I presume). I especially like the profile view of the last image. Maybe the image could use a little more post-processing to add some pop, but the vantage, composition and background make it a very nice image to view. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    What a beautiful bird that I had never heard of or seen before! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Try posting these in the "wildlife" section.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Yep, Wildlife it is.

Carry on.

Nice job with the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD (I presume). I especially like the profile view of the last image. Maybe the image could use a little more post-processing to add some pop, but the vantage, composition and background make it a very nice image to view. thumb.gif

Thanks for your repliesthumb.gif

Could you transfer these to the wildlife section for me please ziggy? I am not sure of how I can do this.

I have DXO Optics Pro 10 and Lightroom 6 and any tips on post processing would be most welcome.

Thanks again
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What a beautiful bird that I had never heard of or seen before! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your kind comments. I posted these images here because the D7200 is a new camera and thought it appropriate. I am going up a learning curve with it.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2015
    What a beautiful bird! Thanks for posting. Best, Pam
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited May 19, 2015
    ... Could you transfer these to the wildlife section for me please ziggy? I am not sure of how I can do this.

I have DXO Optics Pro 10 and Lightroom 6 and any tips on post processing would be most welcome.

Thanks again

I left a forwarding link in the Cameras forum but the thread is moved to the Wildlife forum.

Clarity is something I'm pretty sure Lightroom has, and I would try that for some extra "pop" pretty easily. Try not to overdo it.

For sharpening, please Google for the many methods available to each program. I don't really like USM sharpening for feathers and fur, but there are many other methods and products/addins available for the task.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2015
    Nice shots! I'd been debating getting a Tamron 150-600 as well, hmm do I or don't I...?
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I left a forwarding link in the Cameras forum but the thread is moved to the Wildlife forum.

Clarity is something I'm pretty sure Lightroom has, and I would try that for some extra "pop" pretty easily. Try not to overdo it.

For sharpening, please Google for the many methods available to each program. I don't really like USM sharpening for feathers and fur, but there are many other methods and products/addins available for the task.

Thanks ziggy for the move and your comments above
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    Nice shots! I'd been debating getting a Tamron 150-600 as well, hmm do I or don't I...?

Thanks for your reply Tom. I am used to handling heavy long telephoto lenses but in this case the camera body and Tamron lens are very new to me. I am learning the settings in the camera and also the techniques for hand held shots. I am gradually improving these at the moment.
    PGM wrote: »
    What a beautiful bird! Thanks for posting. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam for your kind comments.