Yongnuo speedlite or Nikon SB 910

morgan20nzmorgan20nz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited June 1, 2015 in Accessories
Hello

I have a Nikon D7000 and use a Yongnuo YN-565EX speedlite on the hotshoe. I need a flash to leap into action to photograph presentations at the end of sports events, photograph celebrities speaking at events, and groups in halls etc. A wide range of use.

I used to own an Olympus E3 and an Olympus FL50 (then the top of that range of speedlite). The flash was so good I could flash it at people even 3ft away on TTL and it would adjust itself so not to over expose them perfectly.

With my current Yongnuo YN-565EX despite being TTL it needs a lot of adjustment to be used. I do realise the price difference between this and pro flashes and the technology differences.

Would the Nikon SB910 work on TTL and not overpose subjects at close range without a lot of adjustment?

:dunno

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 24, 2015
    In short, Yes, the Nikon SB-910 Speedlight is a much better tool for serious photography.

At close range, it's also important to use a capable flash modifier. On-camera direct flash will often generally still produce very unflattering light at close range, unless you use it as fill light for another compatible light source.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • morgan20nzmorgan20nz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    In short, Yes, the Nikon SB-910 Speedlight is a much better tool for serious photography.

At close range, it's also important to use a capable flash modifier. On-camera direct flash will often generally still produce very unflattering light at close range, unless you use it as fill light for another compatible light source.

Thanks again Ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    Not sure about this particular model, but i did buy basic Yongnuo flash and my experience was not so good (reliability wise). Later i bought Phottix for canon to replace 580EX2. Phottix is good and reliable, overall i recomend original manufacturers speedlight.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2015
    I love my Yongnuo 560 III's for manual, off-camera flash but for TTL I usually consider the name-brand flashes to know their own metering and exposure systems best. I'm trying the YN 568 or 565 next, because my SB700 has died for the fourth time and I'm sick of having to have a backup flash at the ready...

My YN560 III's have been highly reliable, and I own four of them, plus four 603 triggers and one 560 TX controller. Absolutely zero complaints, and I'm totally loving the complete lack of cables, or extra batteries and switches for the radio system in the remote flashes. And as an added bonus, with the 560 TX you can not only wirelessly control the flash power, but also the zoom. For $70, that's impossible to beat!

I'd get a SB910 just for TTL, if no third party proves capable of "good TTL", but I'm seriously opposed to the incredible top-heavy-ness that it brings to the equation. I shoot weddings so I just strongly dislike having something that big and tall weighing down the top of my camera for hours on end. If I must, I'll go back to my stalwart SB800 instead. Also, I'm not even sure what you mean by "needs a lot of adjustment to be used"...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2015
    ziggy53 wrote: »

My absolute favorite modifier is the nearest wall / ceiling. If that is too far away, and I'm not shooting ridiculously active photojournalism, I set up an umbrella on a light stand, or a wireless flash in the corner that is closer to the wall / ceiling.

In short, bouncing is your best friend, almost every time!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum