Options

Overzealous RSS Feed Updates?

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited January 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm noticing that my RSS feed indicates certain albums are updated *a lot*... seems like it's almost every time I so much as browse my galleries (when logged in) that those galleries indicate that they've been updated! Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    rdlugosz wrote:
    I'm noticing that my RSS feed indicates certain albums are updated *a lot*... seems like it's almost every time I so much as browse my galleries (when logged in) that those galleries indicate that they've been updated! Any thoughts on this?

Hi, I'll check on this. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    determined cause
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'll check on this. Thanks for posting.
    Hi Andy - if you'd like to report back to the dev team, I've discovered the issue. It appears that the behavior appears when the RSS feed contains galleries which do not have a Feature Photo assigned. The feed therefore contains a random thumbnail URL every time it is loaded, which causes some feed readers to display the feed as "updated".

It may be that this reader behavior is slightly out of spec, since I'm not sure that the actual update time in the XML is modified. However, since this is the behavior of bloglines.com, an extremely popular reader, it would seem that it should be addressed on the SM end.

...actually, if it's really the case that the reader is acting out of spec, there's a good chance that SM is as well - seems that content should not be modified if the last updated timestamp in the XML is not also updated.

Either way, it's a behavior that should probably be considered a bug. I appreciate you relaying this to the dev team on my behalf! thumb.gif

In the meantime, a good enough workaround is to just always set a featured photo on an album.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Hi Andy - if you'd like to report back to the dev team, I've discovered the issue. It appears that the behavior appears when the RSS feed contains galleries which do not have a Feature Photo assigned. The feed therefore contains a random thumbnail URL every time it is loaded, which causes some feed readers to display the feed as "updated".

It may be that this reader behavior is slightly out of spec, since I'm not sure that the actual update time in the XML is modified. However, since this is the behavior of bloglines.com, an extremely popular reader, it would seem that it should be addressed on the SM end.

...actually, if it's really the case that the reader is acting out of spec, there's a good chance that SM is as well - seems that content should not be modified if the last updated timestamp in the XML is not also updated.

Either way, it's a behavior that should probably be considered a bug. I appreciate you relaying this to the dev team on my behalf! thumb.gif

In the meantime, a good enough workaround is to just always set a featured photo on an album.

Thanks very much for this.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Good info to know. I gave up on the feed thinking it wasn't working for the reason you stated. Maybe this explains it for FF1.5 as well.