My first Challenge

cariadcariad Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 7, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
And my first post. Still getting used to a new camera but I thought I'd give it a go.

"A new paint job" - Challenge worthy?

exif

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Wow, I wish my nails looked that good!mwink.gif Good entry. I havn't been on much in the contest area here at Dgrin. I was so busy trying to learn the darn camera this year.
    Just a hello!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    I like the idea, but it has no WOW yet.

Just a suggestion... add something to it. The light reflected on the nails as above is just a small point on each nail. Could something else be the reflection? Perhaps getting even closer, and figuring out how to get an image behind or above to reflect from the nail's surface???
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • cariadcariad Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I like the idea, but it has no WOW yet.

Just a suggestion... add something to it. The light reflected on the nails as above is just a small point on each nail. Could something else be the reflection? Perhaps getting even closer, and figuring out how to get an image behind or above to reflect from the nail's surface???
    Heh, hey now it's two days later, they are no longer that shiney :)

Seriously though, thanks for the sugestions. Great idea just need to figure out how. That shot was taken in a lit room and I was practicing with different shutter speeds. My original idea was a photo of my toes, but holding my foot a few inches off the gound resulted in blur :D

Thanks for both comments
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Maybe a closer crop where its mostly nails only, and all that shiny red, almost looking abstract?ne_nau.gif
    edited January 6, 2006
    Netgarden wrote:
    Maybe a closer crop where its mostly nails only, and all that shiny red, almost looking abstract?ne_nau.gif
    I took some photos outside today and got the trees reflected in the nails, but I couldn't get my skin colour right, my hand looked rather stark white. Not to mention it was cold and my skin looked all yucky and cracked. :D

I'll keep trying
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 6, 2006
    cariad wrote:
    I took some photos outside today and got the trees reflected in the nails, but I couldn't get my skin colour right, my hand looked rather stark white. Not to mention it was cold and my skin looked all yucky and cracked. :D

I'll keep trying

What a trooper!

Blame me for getting you out into the cold. If it was me, I'd just photomerge a portion of a convexed mirror's reflection into the spot of each nail where the light reflection was (then shift it slighly for each nail across, and size for each smaller diameter nail). The backgoround behind the hand would also need not betray the lighting and room colors from whatever convex mirrored picture one would be "borrowing" from.

But it's not as easy in reality as merely proposing it, since any reflected picture would need to look absolutely authentic, and the skills to get away with it convincingly are a bit beyond my 5 years of graphics experience.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    The first shot suffers from the on-camera flash and is flat looking. The shadow does not help.

The second is blurry.

They both lack a compositional element that is compelling. It just looks like hands...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 7, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The first shot suffers from the on-camera flash and is flat looking. The shadow does not help.

The second is blurry.

They both lack a compositional element that is compelling. It just looks like hands...
    I'll keep trying, might not be ready for this challenege but just when you least expect it...:):