Whale's Tale

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited June 8, 2015 in Wildlife
Wild Oceans are calling and we shall go! Had to contend with fog, a.k.a. June gloom.

All comments and criticism cherished!

1)
IMG_5416-X3.jpg

2)
IMG_5421-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_5427-X3.jpg

4)
IMG_5456-X3.jpg

5)
IMG_5296-X3.jpg

6)
IMG_5305-X3.jpg

7)
IMG_5010-X3.jpg

8)
IMG_5169-X3.jpg

9)
IMG_5769-X3.jpg

10)
IMG_5385-X3.jpg

11)
IMG_4922-X3.jpg

12)
IMG_5494-X3.jpg

13)
IMG_5566-X3.jpg

14)
IMG_4851-X3.jpg

15)
IMG_5647-X3.jpg

16)
IMG_4838-X3.jpg

17)
IMG_5629-X3.jpg

18)
IMG_5824-X3.jpg

19)
IMG_5876-X3.jpg

20)
IMG_5900-X3.jpg

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2015
    Looks like a fantastic trip! So much to see!

Sam
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Looks like a fantastic trip! So much to see!

Sam

Thanks Sam! For couple of different trips.....Monterey Bay, which is nearer and cheaper, and Oceanic Society trip to Farralon Islands..... If I find enough subjects over time, then that might be justification for spending equivalent to 3 mortgage payments on 500mm that I have been waiting on.

The degree of difficulty for these shots is very high.....the boat is constantly rocking due to swells and the opportunity to get the shots is second or two long.....splashes.....slippage....etc to deal with.

Great fun and adventure though!

I think I will be going back this weekend to Monterey Bay......if you want to go, lets go!
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,058 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2015
    Ok Taz, you are doing it again - showing me how much I have to learn! Once again you have posted some incredible shots (ok, well all of them are incredible in their own rights, but some are just more!).

#3 - I love this type of shot that you do so well- simplicity at it's finest. Also love the little bird in contrast to the ship.
    #9 - Fun shot with one rebel bird going against the crowd.
    #12 - the clarity of the whale is perfect.
    #14 - This is a particularly beautiful shot - lovely eyes and the way the water displacement shows so well.
    #20 - Love the different colored seal in the mix.

Well done as usual. clap.gifclapthumb.gif
    edited June 3, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Ok Taz, you are doing it again - showing me how much I have to learn! Once again you have posted some incredible shots (ok, well all of them are incredible in their own rights, but some are just more!).

#3 - I love this type of shot that you do so well- simplicity at it's finest. Also love the little bird in contrast to the ship.
    #9 - Fun shot with one rebel bird going against the crowd.
    #12 - the clarity of the whale is perfect.
    #14 - This is a particularly beautiful shot - lovely eyes and the way the water displacement shows so well.
    #20 - Love the different colored seal in the mix.

Well done as usual. clap.gifclapthumb.gif

Thanks Jo!wings.gifivarbowdown.gif
    You know how to cheer one up!
    It is thrilling to be out on water.......and all these years, I didn't know we have our own mini-Gallapagos....a.k.a. Farralon Islands near Bay Area. Unfortunately they don't let people on the island.....and based on the noise, flies and poop content, I am not sure one would want to. Some lucky scientists do get to stay on them. Other shots were from Monterey as I mentioned to Sam.

The ORANGE seal is only found in SF Bay in the world. Why the gene mutates like that....perhaps Mr. Darwin would have an opinion, but that was really cool to see.
    edited June 3, 2015
    OK, it's off to the Farralon's! I've been close to the islands, but only Salmon fishing - not with a camera.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2015
    Great work Taz!
    #1. I love the background and the tail is in perfect position as far as background/foreground!
    #2. Love the composition! The bank below the buildings is a little "blackish" for me but I would still frame it!
    #3. clap.gifclap
    #'s 4,5 and 6. wings.gif
    #9. clap.gifclapclap.gifbow...and the same for 10, 11 and 12! Great composition here on all four! clap.gif
    And the rest are great wildlife shots!
    You captured some great stuff here!!!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited June 3, 2015
    Great work Taz!
    #1. I love the background and the tail is in perfect position as far as background/foreground!
    #2. Love the composition! The bank below the buildings is a little "blackish" for me but I would still frame it!
    #3. clap.gifclap
    #'s 4,5 and 6. wings.gif
    #9. clap.gifclapclap.gifbow...and the same for 10, 11 and 12! Great composition here on all four! clap.gif
    And the rest are great wildlife shots!
    You captured some great stuff here!!!

Thanks Wayne! More than I can express! I have same issue with #2 but I don't have any solutions.:D
    Cheers!!
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2015
    Great stuff...#3 #4 #5 and #19 ....#19 seems like it would be perfect for a B/W with only color for the beak and face...I think, but than again whom am I to tell you what to do :-)

One of these days I will make my way over there
    edited June 4, 2015
    Gatto wrote: »
    Great stuff...#3 #4 #5 and #19 ....#19 seems like it would be perfect for a B/W with only color for the beak and face...I think, but than again whom am I to tell you what to do :-)

One of these days I will make my way over there

Thanks much Gatto! I have to experiment with selective coloring! It would look great but haven't figured out all the processing yet. Will try it for sure! Cheers!
    edited June 4, 2015
    I took the liberty of making the BW with color edits to #19. As it turns out, I'm not sure if it enhances the shot. I think part of the problem is that his face has some white in it, making the face color rather choppy. (Taz gave me permission to post this :uhoh).

i-3qcnPLZ-X2.jpg
    edited June 4, 2015
    I love it Jo! Thanks for this!clap.gif
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2015
    Looks good but try to push the Black and only leave the beack in color (face B/W) and see if it is eb=ven better ....BTW i don't know how to do it either ....i don't mess with my pictures too much :-(
    edited June 4, 2015
    OK, here is Mr. Puffin with just his beak in color. Everything else is BW.

i-N6RpjRQ-X2.jpg
    edited June 4, 2015
    I love the second reworked version even more! Got more pop! The white in the head is totally making it! You are good at this Jo! Teach me! Lets go shooting.....and processing!bowdown.gifbow
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2015
    Great work
    Great shots to treasure, well done.
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
    edited June 8, 2015
    pete w wrote: »
    Great shots to treasure, well done.

Many thanks Pete!