Options

Popular Photography Mentor Series?

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited January 4, 2006 in The Big Picture
Has anyone had any experience with the Popular Photography Mentor Series. Here is a link to the one I am looking at: http://mentorseries.popphoto.com/custom/trek.asp?article_id=0&intTrekID=150&type=future&section_id=11

A trip to Arches National Park guided by two professional landscape photographers sounds like a great opportunity. There are also daily photoshop lectures, etc...

Just wondering if someone has done this and found it worthwhile. Seems like a better option to me than just bumbling around the park and hoping for some good shots.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Has anyone had any experience with the Popular Photography Mentor Series. Here is a link to the one I am looking at: http://mentorseries.popphoto.com/custom/trek.asp?article_id=0&intTrekID=150&type=future&section_id=11

A trip to Arches National Park guided by two professional landscape photographers sounds like a great opportunity. There are also daily photoshop lectures, etc...

Just wondering if someone has done this and found it worthwhile. Seems like a better option to me than just bumbling around the park and hoping for some good shots.ne_nau.gif

They do a good job.

But not as good as The Dgrin Shootout at Bryce and Zion featuring you and 58 of your Dgrin buddies, *and* Marc Muench deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Andy,
    Don't get me wrong. I would love to meet all of the fellow Dgrinners at Bryce. I certainly am considering the trip (if it is still open).
    As helpful as everyone here is, how much actual instruction would I expect on our trip. My understanding was that we would all just hike out to some nice spots and take pics. Would we get together in the afternoon and discuss photoshop techniques or review some of our favorite shots from that day?

I'm not sure what I really want or need in this arena. The lectures could be nice, but they could also be boring. My landscape photography skills are lacking. I certainly could use some professional guidance.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Andy,
    Don't get me wrong. I would love to meet all of the fellow Dgrinners at Bryce. I certainly am considering the trip (if it is still open).
    As helpful as everyone here is, how much actual instruction would I expect on our trip. My understanding was that we would all just hike out to some nice spots and take pics. Would we get together in the afternoon and discuss photoshop techniques or review some of our favorite shots from that day?

Looks like a fun trip with some great mentors at a reasonable price.
    Of course the Dgrin trip would be a whole lot more fun. Only problem would be that everyone would have to also pack their keyboards so they could sit and talk to each other and still have that same Dgrin feeling.rolleyes1.gif

Wish I could go to either one. I would be in heaven!
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Andy,

I'm not sure what I really want or need in this arena. The lectures could be nice, but they could also be boring. My landscape photography skills are lacking. I certainly could use some professional guidance.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You should ask the guys that went on last year's trip. Many told me, that the 1/2 day spent practically 1:1 with Marc, and then the big dinner where he lectured afterwards, was worth more than most workshops.... and, the price is right!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    The price is certainly right!!

After reading all of the threads from last year's trip, I know everyone had a great time. I was drooling at the thought of joining this years trip. Of course I over-analyze my options and stumbled across the Popular Photography trip. There is also a Nikon sponsored trip to Arches with some guy named "Moose".:D

Thanks for your insight!
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You should ask the guys that went on last year's trip. Many told me, that the 1/2 day spent practically 1:1 with Marc, and then the big dinner where he lectured afterwards, was worth more than most workshops.... and,the price is right!

15524779-Ti.gifblew away all my expectations.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    The price is certainly right!!

After reading all of the threads from last year's trip, I know everyone had a great time. I was drooling at the thought of joining this years trip. Of course I over-analyze my options and stumbled across the Popular Photography trip. There is also a Nikon sponsored trip to Arches with some guy named "Moose".:D

Thanks for your insight!

Moose Peterson is great.

for a nikon shooter lol3.gif

:hide